First Elk

FF1DDCC8-3A2C-4F33-86B2-32131EDBF6CE.jpeg
Everyone: thanks so much for the congratulatory posts! To be transparent I did not expect any of it! Thanks!

NOW: this story gets even better:
Last night my wife and I were eating dinner (elk steak) and without prompting she said "I'm surprised how good this is. I normally don't really love your steaks. But this elk is good. WE NEED TO GET MORE ELK!"

I sense future elk hunts will not face any resistance!

View attachment 153806
NOW: this story gets even better:
Last night my wife and I were eating dinner (elk steak) and without prompting she said "I'm surprised how good this is. I normally don't really love your steaks. But this elk is good. WE NEED TO GET MORE ELK!"

I sense future elk hunts will not face any resistance!

That's awesome!

Congrats on your first elk!! And even more important, congrats on introducing your wife to what I think is one of the best game meats in N.A. In an age when "free range", "grass fed", and "organic" are all the rage, we get to eat meat that ticks all these boxes with emphasis. No added hormones or antibiotics in those steaks!

Howdy all -
Just got back from my 3rd elk hunt with my FIRST Elk Kill! Respectable 5x5 shot in the Glenwood Canyon, unit 444. 220y heart shot on opening day of first rifle season. 300 win mag, 180gr Nos Accubond, 73gr IMR4350, 3130 fps muzzle. Bottom pic is the recovered bullet from behind the far shoulder under the skin. Bullet weight 180.0 gr when I loaded it on Oct 6, 2019. Ended up weighing 124.2 gr afterword. Elk was recovered less than 5 yards from where I shot him.

View attachment 153630 View attachment 153631
View attachment 153633
Great job. Thanks for sharing your adventure!!!

Nice Elk, you were obviously better prepared than the average elk hunter. A 300 Win Mag is more than adequate, one shot and done!

My first elk was with a 25-06 with bullets designed for deer/ antelope. The 117 grain bullets blew up on the way in, needed 2 shots to finish it! I was on a antelope hunt and went as a guest, but when my friend shot a monster 400+ inch bull, I got the fever and had to get one also, although mine was a 340in bull. Great memories.

Good luck with your new quest, nothing like elk hunting.

T

Congratulations. I have never shot one close to the truck or camp. My wife will not eat any wild game except elk so I get no resistance from her.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.