First effort at a full custom

mountainman56

I am proud to say I have completed my first full custom. Stiller TAC300 action, Bartlein #3 contour chambered in 300 Win Mag, Oberndorf stainless bottom metal, jewell trigger set at 20 oz and one of Ryan's mini magnum brakes. I wrapped it up in a McMillan Edge carbon fiber stock. The barreled action, bottom metal, rings and bases are NWU gray (which came out a little lighter than I had hoped). Settin on top is a Swarovski 3.5-18.

I've been working gradually up to a rifle like this for some time. I am hoping to eventually acquire enough skills to keep me out of trouble when I retire in a few years.

To date all I have put through it is 20 rounds for barrel break in but I did manage a 1/2" group with factory Federal ammunition so my hopes are high.

Attachments

• New rifle3.jpg
    New rifle3.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Thanks trebark, this is meant to be an easy to carry (9.2 lbs) hunting rifle that I hope will shoot over to the other mountain. Initially I will be trying Berger 210's, Barnes 200 lrx and Nosler 200 accubonds. Once I get a good hunting load established I may try some 215's and 230's at some long range steel.

What bases are those? I don't think I've seen a split picatinny like that for a stiller.

What bases are those? I don't think I've seen a split picatinny like that for a stiller.

20 moa bases that came with the action, with the middle cut out. I have picatinny bases on several rifles but they are mostly for shootin steel and long range pig shooting. I find them somewhat inhibiting for reloading so this one was modified. I left them a little larger than needed as I will likely be mounting larger glass when I see how far I can actually shoot it.

trebark and BEEMAN. Right now the big push is for hunting this fall. My self imposed range limit for game (except pigs) is 750 yards and shrinking so I'm not too concerned with bullet selection at this time. Something that has a .5 plus BC, stays together and shoots tight groups will be my selection this year, plus I have the bullets I mentioned on the shelf.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts