First build questions

Shawn B

This is what I am working with. I have a model 70 and will be clambering it in .264 win mag. I have a brux 1:8 twist 26" #5 contour barrel ordered with muzzle threaded for a break (at a later date). I will be ordering a McMillan game hunter stock at some point. Factory moa trigger will be used for now. Here's were the questions start! I want the action and bolt blueprinted/squared up but was given the impression it was a waste of time because "it's just a Winchester and that's all it will ever be", that statement irked me but oh well. So should I have the barrel chambered at the same place the action is getting done or is it alright to have it done at two different places? Next question is regarding stock, McMillan will fully inlet and pillar bed stock but how do they do that without the action(pillar bed)? Next is regarding bottom metal I would like a detachable mag for this build any suggestions?

A dude named David set a few records with a model 70. Proves they can be very accurate if built by a smith that knows them. This is your first quest. Find a different smith that likes to build them. He will help you with the rest.

I agree with orange dust , find another gun Smith. I'm not an expert but as I understand working on model 70 s is not as easy and one has to know what he is doing. All my win model 70 s shoot great. About all I buy

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.