First aid/survival equipment, taking care or ourselves and others.

The Number one first aid to always carry is simple soap! A bar of soap in a ziplock bag with water kills germs, cleans cuts and scrapes, helps stop minor bleeding and washes off plant and animal poisons, if used right now. Right now, even with unclean water!

When hunting in the back country I always carry:
1) Gatorade, water & energy bars
2) Tourniquet & clotting packs
3) Fully charged phone
4) Head lamp, flashing red lamp, boat style whistle, signal mirror
5) .357 mag compact pistol in my outer jacket pocket
6) Mace spray
7) Space blanket for thermal protection
Happy hunting, and be prepared!

Ok, so I decided to compile all the suggestions so far into one long list. I will try to update over time so we can have a nice checklist to think about. This was cut and paste without being picky with grammar so it is what it is.

Attachments

• LRH Survival List.pdf
    15.3 KB · Views: 126
Ok, so I decided to compile all the suggestions so far into one long list. I will try to update over time so we can have a nice checklist to think about. This was cut and paste without being picky with grammar so it is what it is.

That's a pretty comprehensive list. Thank you for taking the time to compile it. What I will do with a list like this is take suggestions that I never thought of and add them to what I want to use. I like the idea of the duct tape and the super glue. The duct tape doesn't take that much room up in a backpack, I plan to wrap some around a magic marker; I can use the magic marker to note the time of tourniquet application. I also have a good pair of para-medic scissors in my pack.

Last edited:
I use checklists for all my trips so this one is nice to just have to think about new additions or just to check off something that you wanted to add to your pack. From the size of this list, I think I need an alpaca just to carry my pack!:D

And here I thought a couple band aids and steri-strips with a few tear open alcohol wipes was enough. That is in my range bag. At the ranges where I shoot, they have the major first aid equipment.

As I peruse the comprehensive compilation constructed completely by concerned citizens I am confused how to carry it conveniently .

You know what I find amusing? My trauma bag weighs more than my hiking pack when both are fully loaded...

Question: you think there's interest in custom-designed WFR courses? Perhaps piggybacked onto Len's shooting courses (making it one scenic trip)? I wonder if he'd be interested.

As I peruse the comprehensive compilation constructed completely by concerned citizens I am confused how to carry it conveniently .

With that degree of alliteration, methinks you've got it.

Ive been a in EMS for 23 years with 18 of those as a Medic in a very deadly town. I also teach trauma courses and I can tell you less is more. If I had a sherpa to carry the sink I would. Training is utmost so you can try items to see which ones you like.

Buy and practice at home. Seal it up with a food saver and put it in your pack EXCEPT your tourniquet which better be very handy so you can apply it in under thirty seconds to yourself one handed.

I can tell you right now that a good buy is the TACMED D.O.K. downed officers kit. For the money it is a great buy. The SOFT-W tourniquet and bandage that comes in the kit is very liked. I dont represent anyone by the way. Also the RATZ tourniquet is very well liked by my students. We use over 6 different tourniquets in class as well as bandages and chest seals so folks can find the one they like.

Death by bleeding out is preventable! The other stuff will be uncomfortable. Heart Attack is at least you where enjoying what you liked. A friend of mine hunted Canada for Moose every year. A few years ago him and his guide were sitting in there favorite knoll glassing when he told his guide he was having chest pain. The guide said Im going for help he said according to the guide please stay as it wont matter. He was a retired FF and knew. He died shortly there after.

Questions shoot me a PM.

Be safe and have fun

The Mountaineers' Cure for Aches:
"IBlieve" -> Two Ibuprofen and one Alleve
;o)

Buy a good Wilderness First Aid book too, or buy several. Look at their kit lists and decide how much is enough and how much is too much - OR who else in the party can carry the excess kit while you carry the essentials.

Eric B.

Last edited:
A couple of meds, which weigh next to nothing and take up little space could be life saving: Decadron (dexamethasone) for altitude sickness, and Flagyl (Metronidazole) for Giardia (commonly called "Beaver Fever").
Either of these conditions could kill you or make you so disabled that you couldn't get out. They do require prescriptions, but if you locate a hunting doctor (there are plenty of us), s/he could explain the symptoms and the dosages. Taking them at the wrong time won't even hurt you either.
I've had beaver fever, been shot at been stabbed, crashed in a pursuit. I'd take any of those over another dose of beaver fever.

A928EC74-D6DE-4ED8-BB1C-1E976299696D.jpeg
Ive been a in EMS for 23 years with 18 of those as a Medic in a very deadly town. I also teach trauma courses and I can tell you less is more. If I had a sherpa to carry the sink I would. Training is utmost so you can try items to see which ones you like.

Buy and practice at home. Seal it up with a food saver and put it in your pack EXCEPT your tourniquet which better be very handy so you can apply it in under thirty seconds to yourself one handed.

I can tell you right now that a good buy is the TACMED D.O.K. downed officers kit. For the money it is a great buy. The SOFT-W tourniquet and bandage that comes in the kit is very liked. I dont represent anyone by the way. Also the RATZ tourniquet is very well liked by my students. We use over 6 different tourniquets in class as well as bandages and chest seals so folks can find the one they like.

Death by bleeding out is preventable! The other stuff will be uncomfortable. Heart Attack is at least you where enjoying what you liked. A friend of mine hunted Canada for Moose every year. A few years ago him and his guide were sitting in there favorite knoll glassing when he told his guide he was having chest pain. The guide said Im going for help he said according to the guide please stay as it wont matter. He was a retired FF and knew. He died shortly there after.

Questions shoot me a PM.

Be safe and have fun
Don't remember if I got this T at one of your classes or another's. Training is paramount. Every other year or so for twenty years took an advance course. I was a simple operator not a medic. I've learned a lot, my personal trauma kit was liberated when I retired. Goes every where.
Skimming the responses, startling lack of "eye pro" I don't guide fishing or bird hunts w/o every one wears eye protection.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.