Firing pin diameter and protrusion.

Punisher

i just built a .338 LM and I w by to a tight firing pin hole on a PTG 1 piece bolt. I have .050"- .051" protrusion. Diameter is .060"

I have no experience doing this with a magnum, anyone that has experience in this matter with magnums?

Think they are more prone to pierce primers?

i just built a .338 LM and I w by to a tight firing pin hole on a PTG 1 piece bolt. I have .050"- .051" protrusion. Diameter is .060"

I have no experience doing this with a magnum, anyone that has experience in this matter with magnums?

.050 would be minimum in my opinion. .055 to .060 is about perfect, with .065 as maximum.

Pierced primers are often caused by excessive head space allowing the case to be pushed forward when struck and then driven backwards when it fires.

Excessive firing pin springs can also cause this. .060 diameter is fine.

J E CUSTOM

T
.050 would be minimum in my opinion. .055 to .060 is about perfect, with .065 as maximum.

Pierced primers are often caused by excessive head space allowing the case to be pushed forward when struck and then driven backwards when it fires.

Excessive firing pin springs can also cause this. .060 diameter is fine.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks. I've done this on a dozen 6br's, but never anything else.

I would be less inclined to do it on a customers rifle than my own, but I think the tightness of the hole will just result in a nice clean center strike.

I would update be less inclined on the customers rifle due to the fact that I see most of my customers under sizing their brass to begin with.

I guess I should clarify.

It looks pretty, but will it shoot?

Attachments

• E51DE921-D2F5-4718-825E-B77C85C73E15.jpeg
    E51DE921-D2F5-4718-825E-B77C85C73E15.jpeg
    461.5 KB · Views: 150

I use the .062 pin on a 338 edge and a 7mm ultra rogue with good results.. there is actually less area for the primer to flow into the pin hole and the smaller pin will help against piercing. :) that looks like a very nice rifle too :)

Thanks. I had to turn them s one down into the radius. I was a little unsure, but I think I like it the way it is.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.