Finally, the Long Awaited LRR

alcesgigas

July 23 the final piece of my Long Range Rifle (LRR) arrived. Maybe it was the accumulated excitement--who knows--but I wasn't satisfied with five of my bedding attempts. The sixth made the criteria and the shooting began August 4. Loads began with 88 gr. of H1000 and rest today (8/5) at 92 gr. with shots 19, 20, and 21. In the rain and fog I held off using the chronograph--maybe tomorrow. RP brass with SMK 300s only fodder consumed and this week I hope to get out to 600 yards and get into Berger 300 Hybrids w/Nosler brass. We're into our August rains/fog/snow (higher elevations) cycle so conditions may dictate...
Winchester M70 action (from 375H&H, Stainless Classic)
Hart 30" BR1000 w/8x40 holes
Jim See's Magnum 4 Port Muscle Brake
Premier Gen II 5-25x56 MilDot in Millrads
Near Alphamount (20MOA rings and 20MOA base) w/8x40 screws
Manners T-5A stock
Jewell trigger
Atlas bipod
USO level
Wyatt's M-8E magazine
All metalwork, including blueprinting, by Hart
Do I dare state that the recoil is about that of a 243? And, at least for the shooter, noise is such that ear muffs are more than adequate protection? Its 21# weight tames the Edge to pleasurable status--far more so than my 270s! Shooting has been restricted to 100 yards to date, but that will change Tuesday. To say I'm excited, pleased, and so thankful for all the information, from others on this site and the expertise of dedicated conscientious crafts persons'--also from this site--is a massive understatement. Photos below show why.

Attachments

• First Photo Finished a.jpg
    First Photo Finished a.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 112
  • second set a.jpg
    second set a.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 120
  • second set b.jpg
    second set b.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 103
  • second set c.jpg
    second set c.jpg
    234.8 KB · Views: 131
  • third set b.jpg
    third set b.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 124
Nice shooting. I know how you feel. I've got a 2 year project that is almost done. dont get frustrated with the 300gr. bergers. they are real sensitive to seating depth, but once your find the exact OAL, they are amazing. I just ordered ton of Nosler brass, I'm almost as excited for the brass as I am for my gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.