First long range gun finally C3A1 !!

haywire05

Its a 308 in Parker Hale . Rock creek barrell 25.5" long 1 in10 twist . With a US optics scope sn-3 in 3.2x17 t-pal with illuminated reticle . Bedded trued etc etc. Shot it for the first time today .675 6 shot group at 100 meteres of a versa pod which I dont care for at all . Pretty impressed so far . Shooting the 168 vld with 44.5 varget and lapua brass br2 primers.

Shure makes a hell of a difference shooting a purpose built rifle versus one off the shelf . Couldnt stop grinning all day . Now I know what all the hipe is about . Cant wait to drain the bank account on the next one .

misciphone066.jpg

6 shots on the left .675" the 4 on the right where the first I had ever shot out of this gun learners error.

Can watch the shots at 100 meters little to no recoil I love it .
misciphone061.jpg

Last edited:
your group on the right is about the best I can get my 308 to shoot the 168 vlds but Ive only tried Tac and IMR 8208 so far and only a few different charges. Your group on the left is very good and I bet you will be able to get it even better if you play around with charge weight and seating depths, especially with your custom barrel
Man I wish I could have that scope you got there

Nice rig. You've seen a hint of the available performance. You'll be grinning for a long time.

I'm shooting 1 ragged hole now with it love it . It's a little old school but dies the trick . So far I've taken coyotes at 300 all the way out to 750 meters .

I am building a C3A1 clone at the moment , it will be basically all new except the scope mount ( this is an original , been refurbed ) , got a almost new conditon Parker Hale M87 rifle in 243 .
Will have a brand new Parker Hale coldhammer forged 1-12 twist barrel mounted , barrel profile will be Parker Hale TX1200 target rifle .
Scope is a USO MST-100 , cannot wait to get her up and running .
Stock for now is the std wood M87 , but will be up-graded for a McM A2 as soon as possible .

Its not a real C3A1 , but it will be dam close .

Later Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.