Finally, a recovered Barnes bullet!

dog caller

Good news! After making a post the other day about never having recovered a Barnes X bullet, my luck has changed. The guy that processed the hogs my son, friend and I got the other day called me today to come pick up the meat. Two of the hogs I shot with my 270 (130 TSX's) were pass thru's and caused a devastating wound channel. The third one I shot was a "Texas Heart Shot" and the guy recovered the bullet in the vertibrae of the neck. That is about 24 inches from the entrance wound and about 4 inches up from being a straight line. I am going to pick the meat up Monday and I will clean, weigh and photograph the bullet and post it under this thread. He said it looked "wicked". I asked him if it looked like a big X from the front and he said it definately did. I can't wait to see it! I've wanted to have an expanded X bullet since I started using them many years ago. I've never been able to keep one in an animal so I am excited that I finally did. I'll keep you posted!

391605.JPG

391604.JPG

.257 75 gr Barnes X
Recovered from a 9 pt I shot two years ago. Bullet took out both front shoulders and was caught in the oft side hide by one of the petals. The bullet retained 74.6 grs; muzzle velocity was 3550 fps. The deer was taken at a range of 75 yards.

Hang on to your "x"! They are hard to come by. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Congrats on the kill dog caller!

I never have understood why recovered xbullets were so rare... Heres mine.
xbullet1.jpg
xbullet2.jpg

I guess they are kinda cute /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
If you want nasty ill go dig out the hydrashocks, or the 90gr Hornady XTP... after its been driven about 2x as fast as hornady designed it for.

abinok, From the shank left on your X bullets, I would guess fairly long shots with a reduced velocity at point of impact in the 2000-2700 FPS range? What type of critter are most recovered from? Were they against the hide or did you drive them through a lot of critter? Those are a lot of recovered X bullets! Most of mine exit and knock down trees to show me their path!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

C'mon, sewwhat89, you're killing me! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif That is awesome! Now I really can't wait till Monday!

Adam, I agree with ol' wapiti13. From the looks of the frontal pictures of your bullets, they look as if they were well down range from your rifle when they hit. Only the small diameter one has that melted copper look where the meplat used to be. The others look as though they were travelling quite slow when they impacted. What kind of animals were they recovered from?

[ QUOTE ]
Most of mine exit and knock down trees to show me their path!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I shot an elk in 1997 at +/- 250 yards in the snow. The 140g XFB out of my 270 WBY crushed both front shoulders and exited, leaving a bright red triangle design in the snow. From the air it would have looked like an arrow pointing to the dead bull on the ground. He never stepped out of his tracks after being hit and the "thwack" of impact in that snowy, calm meadow was incredible!

I'm going to give the 25cal- 100gr tsx's a whirl,i've seen enough.With the medium weight and high velocity it should kill great.ME

[ QUOTE ]
I would guess fairly long shots with a reduced velocity at point of impact

[/ QUOTE ]
Well yea... this LRH after all /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Most of those were recovered from just under the skin, to slightly deeper from either our little tiny 100lb or so whitetails, or our big fat riverbottom feral hogs. Both equally tastey, most shot at 600yds or so. One of the deer was in front of a mud bank on a river bottom. The bullet penetrated and was extracted by shovel recovery... about 8 inches in or so. One of the long ones is a 7mm that was fired from a 7stw into a hog at just over 800. Ithink ive got 3-4 more someplace.. and one of them is a 22. May do some digging later.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts