Filling the Case

Tim Behle

Correct me if I am wrong, but to my way of thinking, a full case of powder will burn more consistently from shot to shot, than cases only half full. Consistency is a good thing.

For shooting at long range, ( 300 to 1,000 yards ) it is better to have each shot moving at exactly the same speed as the one before it, than it would be to have faster moving bullets, with a larger ES.

Therefore I am better off using a powder that fills the case, with out giving me excessive pressure. When working up loads, and I get pressure signs, before I can fill the case with powder, should I drop to the next slowest burn rate of powder? Until I reach the fastest powder I can burn, with a full case, and no pressure signs?

The rifle in question is a Win. Model 70 in 7mm Remington Mag, and I am working with Berger 180 grain match bullets.

Thanks for your thoughts,

Tim

Many of the guys at the PA 1K club will say that "Mostly Full with Some Airspace" is a lot better. My match gun does not like the very slow powders such as R25, H870, ... H1K is also just a tick too slow, even though it has done ok at times. I'd say get what you can in the H4831/SC area and be happy with it. Pick a powder that when you shoot the gun at night, does not have 3 feet of flames comming out the barrel. That means you are using the powder in the gun instead of in the atmosphere.

I also seriously doubt that you will find any powder that will fill the case of a 7mag. If you even get up to 65gr of say H1K it won't be full and you won't like it that hot....

4mesh063--
7mm Rem. Mag---- 68 gr of IMR4831 will give you a slightly compressed load with a 150 gr. Nosler Partition..... Excellent load in a rifle I sold a while back...I'm with S1--a slightly compressed charge of powder is more consistent overall...CJ

I guess I should classify that, sorry. I mean for the heavier match bullets such as 180 and 190 gr 7mm. That's gonna be hard to get a compressed load and not have to pound the bolt open. My brother's 7mm wsm that we just built is NEVER gonna use a compressed load. The starting loads on the winchester site are at the upper limit and nearing dangerous in that gun. Same goes for mine. If the gun is tight, and I mean real tight, then you won't be able to do what you are saying.

S1, IMHO, I would say that you are correct for a gun made with a reamer, because they are all throated loose. Mine is not. Well, that means you are correct for 99.999% of guns. The throat job is going to be a considerable factor in the load this person can shoot. If a good job is done just on sealing the necks, the gun will become efficient enough to need the powder backed off. I think compressed loads are for small cases like PPC's and loose guns such as a freebored one (weatherby, rem VS). That's why guns are freebored anyhow is because it limits the liability for the companies who make them.

[ 02-11-2003: Message edited by: 4mesh063 ]

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts