FFP or SFP Please vote

All I can say is WOW! I post a question before I leave on a hunting trip and get back to find a great discusion with 8 pages of VERY useful information. Based on this information I ordered a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 MOA "SFP" today. I am gonna try it first and see if it suits my needs.
I can not thank everyone enough for all the great information. This is why I love this place!!!

You will like that scope a lot. It is a great entry level scope price wise with features that some more expensive scopes don't offer or don't do as well.

Have fun practicing!

Scot E.

Sooo... If I'm tracking this correctly....

If my FFP mil reticle vertical and horizontal stadia subtends 0.06mils (.20 in at 100yds?) then at 1000yds it will cover a 2.0in area? If I did the math correctly.

This has been a really enlightening and informative thread! Thanks everyone.

Sooo... If I'm tracking this correctly....

If my FFP mil reticle vertical and horizontal stadia subtends 0.06mils (.20 in at 100yds?) then at 1000yds it will cover a 2.0in area? If I did the math correctly.

This has been a really enlightening and informative thread! Thanks everyone.

Yes Sir.

Scot E.

Thank you sir for your reply. As I don't have a lot of experience with FFP reticles, or really SFP for that matter, what would be an acceptable range for reticle thickness? I'm looking at distance of 1k and beyond. Thanks again.

Doc

Thank you sir for your reply. As I don't have a lot of experience with FFP reticles, or really SFP for that matter, what would be an acceptable range for reticle thickness? I'm looking at distance of 1k and beyond. Thanks again.

Doc

If you are going 1k+ I would probably look at SFP scopes for this purpose. However, be careful as there are SFP reticles that are as thick or thicker than FFP reticles so be sure you watch out for that when choosing a scope.

If you are set on FFP I would look at Vortex Razor's or PST's with the EBR2b reticle. They have fine line thickness and a small open center crosshair which allows for very precise aiming.

The Premier Gen2XR is another very good one. It is offered in a few scope brands as well as their own Heritage and LT series, has a very thin line thickness, .04 MIL for the main reticle but .03 for the center crosshair. Very usable for most applications as that subtends to .1 at 100 yards and 1 inch at 1000 yards.

Nightforce's 3 new reticle designs are all good IMO. Not as thin as the ones above but well designed and usable unless you are shooting paper or competition. But putting bullets in tight groups on big game, steel or rocks, yup plenty doable.

Good Luck.

Scot E.

Great info sir! The Premier G2XR is the reticle I'm seriously considering for all the reasons you have covered here as well as being a mil/mil scope. There is an SFP which is a 9 mil dot that I'm looking at also but unfortunately it is moa/mil.

Thanks Sir! Stay Warm!

Doc

The vortex viper pst 6-24x50 with ebr-1 moa reticule , the line thinkness is .06 or .6" at 1000 yards. Just about perfect i think.

emn83 sent me this pic of the reticule i talked about above at 6x
1117121004a.jpg

You guys might want to check out the March F 3-24 42mm or the March FX 5-40 56mm scopes. Both FFP, mil/mil with great reticles. Solidly built and much smaller and lighter than other premium scopes. Parallex focus to 10 meters. Nonilluminated versions are $2260 and $3200, respectively. Illuminated versions a few hundred more. The FX 5-40 has centrally open reticle with 0.05 mil dot. Only distributed by Kelby Rifles here in the US.

Great info sir! The Premier G2XR is the reticle I'm seriously considering for all the reasons you have covered here as well as being a mil/mil scope. There is an SFP which is a 9 mil dot that I'm looking at also but unfortunately it is moa/mil.

Thanks Sir! Stay Warm!

Doc

I would definitely stay away from MOA/MIL. Go with either MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA.

Also, I forgot probably my favorite FFP reticle which is the HMDR G2 from Bushnell. It is very well designed. .05 MIL line thickness everywhere except in the crosshairs section where it is .03 MIL thickness. The scopes with that reticle are just hitting markets or will soon be so they are a big hard to find but their tactical line has a very solid reputation in all departments and they should be fantastic.

Scot E.

I really appreciate all the guidance. I'm going to keep looking for a mil/mil G2XR type reticle. I found a Falcon 5.5-25x50 FFL illum with that reticle at SWFA for a very reasonable price. Hey Riley, unfortunately over here in Afghanistan, my internet server restricts some types of files and https so unfortunately I can't get pics from photobucket.. But I did find the Vortex site and checked the reticle. It looks like it would be very useful. I've been trained on mil/mil and ranging with reticles so it'll be an easy switch.

Thanks for the help!:)

Doc

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.