Federal Trophy bonded tip

KSB209

Got a box of Federal trophy bonded tip for my 270. 140 grain and they shoot awesome. About 1/4" at 100 yards. I was talking to a gunsmith and he said absolutely do not shoot those bullets because they are nickel plated and will foul the barrel and since most solvents are made for copper fouling it is next to impossible to get rid of the nickel fouling. Just wondering if there is any truth to that. This gunsmith knows his stuff so I want to trust his opinion but these bullets shoot so well out of my rifle I want to use them but I don't want to screw my rifle if they are bad for it

Nickel fouling can be hard to remove, but I haven't had any issues with my break - and bolt actions the last 40 years while using nickel plated bullets, and I used some almost all the time.
The Trophy Bonded Tip by Federal is one of the best commercial rounds to find. I'm using it constantly in my .300WM with 180gr, because you can't make it better yourself IMHO. So don't be anxious!

Yes, the are just great. You may buy the 200gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw, which is as good as the TBT. Rhino bullets and / or Norfolk are other options and very similar to TBT.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.