Federal Trophy Bonded Tip and Trophy Copper BCs?

the444shooter

has anyone verified the BCs of Federals Trophy Bonded Tips and Trophy Copper loads? They seem awful optimistic comparing them to Barnes' offerings of similar weights. Trophy Copper .308 165gr is supposedly .503, 180gr is supposedly .523, and the Trophy Bonded Tip .308 180 is right at .500

Anyone have real world BC experience with them?

I tested Federal Trophy Copper (180 gr), Federal Trophy Bonded Tip (180 gr), and Barnes Vor-TTSX (180 gr) on my Tikka T3 LS .30-06. The test consisted in measuring bullet velocity at 3 yds and 100 yds employing a Chrony F1 chronograph. I then used the application iSnipe to recalibrate the ballistic coefficients in order to obtain a velocity curve consistent with my field results. Five cartridges per bullet and per distance were used.

Resulting ballistic coefficients (within parenthesis values declared by the manufacturers) were as follows:

Federal TC: 0.455 (0.523)
Federal TBT: 0.315 (0.500)
Barnes Vor-TTSX: 0.380 (0.484)

Muzzle velocities (calculated from the 3 yds data) were also different as by the manufacturers:

Federal TC: 2,770 ± 9 (2,700)
Federal TBT: 2,756 ± 13 (2,700)
Barnes Vor-TTSX: 2,615 ± 45 (2,700)

Velocities at 100 yds were as follows:

Federal TC: 2,575 ± 28 (2,530)
Federal TBT: 2,479 ± 71 (2,522)
Barnes Vor-TTSX: 2,393 ± 38 (2,520)

As the data show, velocity decreased more rapidly at 100 yds for Federal TBT (-9.9 %) than for Barnes VOR-TX (-8.2 %) and Federal TC (-6.9 %). Both Federal cartridges also grouped much tighter (within 1 MOA), compared to the Barnes (within 2 MOA).

Overall the test showed that Federal TC outperformed the two other bullets in terms of muzzle velocity, velocity conservation and BC. Both Federal bullets revealed a slightly higher muzzle velocity than the declared ones, whilst the Barnes had a lower velocity than the declared one. It is also worth mentioning that TC and VOR-TTSX are both wholly copper-made, while TBT has a lead core, which raises some environmental and health concerns.

Considering the prices (in Canadian $) of the Federal TC (39.99 $), the Federal TBT (39.99 $) and the Barnes VOR-TTSX (48.99 $), and the ballistic performances I will continue using my since ever first choice, i.e. Federal TC, for moose hunting in Canada.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Here is a graphic view of my test results.

I also add a picture comparing a selected number of recovered bullets of Federal TC and Barnes VOR-TTSX. They all hit a sand dune behind the target.

I noticed two main features. The first one concerns the general aspect with VOR-TTSX appearing more deformed and with expanding "petals" more easily torn apart. This let me wonder if they are more malleable than the TC. The second feature concerns the "boat tail", which seems to be more pronounced in the TC than in the VOR-TTSX. This may partially explain the difference in the ballistic coefficients I measured in the field.

Attachments

• Bullet test 2.png
    Bullet test 2.png
    13.2 KB · Views: 658
  • IMG_3945.jpg
    IMG_3945.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.