Federal terminal ascent 270 WSM

chris249

Anyone loaded any of the TAs in a 270 wsm Tikka t3x? I have several hundred and am about to start hunting a load. I'm going to try h1000, h4350, reloder 26, retumbo, 4831sc, and magpro. I couldn't find anything on reloading them for a 270 wsm.

Depending on your needs for the rifle, MagPro isn't temp stable, so use caution there. Otherwise MagPro is a good powder, slow and meters really well. I have used it in a 7mm WSM and saw early unexpected pressure behind 150gr bullets. I've loaded, with good results, a 270 WSM for my dad with IMR-4350. I'm using H1000 right now in my 7mm WSM and 162s with good results. Seems a little slow for your application though, I'd say the same about Retumbo. I'd be loading some of the H4350, I've had good luck with it in other WSMs (a 243 WSSM and 325 WSM). The H4831 would be the next powder I'd try.

Depending on your needs for the rifle, MagPro isn't temp stable, so use caution there. Otherwise MagPro is a good powder, slow and meters really well. I have used it in a 7mm WSM and saw early unexpected pressure behind 150gr bullets. I've loaded, with good results, a 270 WSM for my dad with IMR-4350. I'm using H1000 right now in my 7mm WSM and 162s with good results. Seems a little slow for your application though, I'd say the same about Retumbo. I'd be loading some of the H4350, I've had good luck with it in other WSMs (a 243 WSSM and 325 WSM). The H4831 would be the next powder I'd try.
Agree 100%. My thoughts are that since it's pretty warm now in North Alabama now would be a good try to try some of the less temp stable patterns and figure out their max. I have been play with Gordon's reloading tool and have mocked up some decent loads (on computer anyway) I'm planning on loading some 6/26 some of each powder and Chrono the loads. Interested in seeing what I come up with. I modified a accubond to fit the profile of the terminal ascent bullet in Gordon's tool so I think it will be decently close. We shall see

I'm running 140 accubonds with 69.5 grains Magpro in my Tikka. Super accuracy but only running 2960 fps. This is max charge in Nosler data. Load development was done at 40 degrees. I shot it at 700 yds the other day at 70 degrees and noticed it was shooting high. Need to run it over the Labradar to check velocity.

I'm running 140 accubonds with 69.5 grains Magpro in my Tikka. Super accuracy but only running 2960 fps. This is max charge in Nosler data. Load development was done at 40 degrees. I shot it at 700 yds the other day at 70 degrees and noticed it was shooting high. Need to run it over the Labradar to check velocity.
What overall case length are you at? Late last night I calculated I could squeeze 72-73 gr magpro pushing a 135gr speer. I have looked at noslers data and feel they are very conservative.

I think this should still fit the standard mag. I got the magnum magazines and put a magnum bolt stop in my Tikka. I went to 72 grains but groups opened up to 2" with Magpro.

Attachments

• 99259932-4583-44D6-8851-47D731EC8EFD.jpeg
    99259932-4583-44D6-8851-47D731EC8EFD.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • 91B9AFA7-69F3-4D75-8E5E-EDB674FFAF8E.jpeg
    91B9AFA7-69F3-4D75-8E5E-EDB674FFAF8E.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
What overall case length are you at? Late last night I calculated I could squeeze 72-73 gr magpro pushing a 135gr speer. I have looked at noslers data and feel they are very conservative.
I think you're right on with the weight for Magpro. I know I saw pressure in my 7mm WSM, some ejector marks, at 71 or 72gr. Can't remember off the top of my head. That was with a 150, I didn't get great results with the powder in that rifle and decided to go a different route with bullets anyway. That load was the "max" and recommended for the 150s from Nosler.

Good luck I'm interested to see what you end up with for a load. I could try to rework something for my dad's rifle too. (Both of these rifles are browning A-Bolts, all of my WSMs are)

I think you're right on with the weight for Magpro. I know I saw pressure in my 7mm WSM, some ejector marks, at 71 or 72gr. Can't remember off the top of my head. That was with a 150, I didn't get great results with the powder in that rifle and decided to go a different route with bullets anyway. That load was the "max" and recommended for the 150s from Nosler.

Good luck I'm interested to see what you end up with for a load. I could try to rework something for my dad's rifle too. (Both of these rifles are browning A-Bolts, all of my WSMs are)
I'm going to try VV160 and VV560 as well. Forgot I had jugs of those. I think the 160 will be a bit slow but on simulation it was pretty decent. 3100fps, low muzzle pressure, complete burn, and mild recoil.

Managed to shoot some terminal ascent bullets today and magpro powder. Tikka t3x 90 degrees out. Ended up with a flat 70gr magpro with nosler brass. 2.860 oal. 13 shots were average of 3230 with labradar. I was .085" off lands, just fire forming brass. I'm going to keep tweaking OAL when my 50 are fireformed. Weather did not allow me to try another powder with the TA bullets.