Federal primers

XParaman

I have been looking for Fed 215m primers forever, and no luck as with most. I was lucky enough to find 3000 215 primers. Ivcannot understand how Federal can go so long without ever catching up, or so they say. Maybe its because they make so much money off their loaded ammo and do not want us reloaders to compete. I know Iam fed up with them. I will start to seek the best replacement. I see WLRM, CCI, Remington all have primer for sale on the market. What do you think is the best sub? I sent federal a message, as if it matters, but did let them know how I feel. Makes be feel better anyway.

X, I've found no differences with the Federal 215 standard primers over the 215M. The standard 215 are quite readily found from many reports. Bruno Shooters Supply has the standard $34.95/1000.

To me there is no "best" primer. One I have a load the last thing I do is load up five each with all the primers I have. Usually one will be better than the others. If there are a few I do the same thing again because I like to shoot.

I have been looking for Fed 215m primers forever, and no luck as with most. I was lucky enough to find 3000 215 primers. Ivcannot understand how Federal can go so long without ever catching up, or so they say. Maybe its because they make so much money off their loaded ammo and do not want us reloaders to compete. I know Iam fed up with them. I will start to seek the best replacement. I see WLRM, CCI, Remington all have primer for sale on the market. What do you think is the best sub? I sent federal a message, as if it matters, but did let them know how I feel. Makes be feel better anyway.

Hey Friend, Federal is located in Anoka, Minnesota. That's where my brother an Anoka County Sheriff lives and works. Also the name has been changed to VISTA OUTDOORS! Federal lost a huge military contract and closed a plant in Missouri. The problem with Primers, and mainly Federal Gold Medal Match Primers is that they use their stock of Primers for their ammunition that they sell first. Whats left is then sold as a component, primers. This is what they told me when I was up there actually at the plant the 1st week of July. They told me that primers should be readily available after the 1st of November since most of their big orders coincide with the nations hunting seasons.

Last edited:
Hey Friend, Federal is located in Anoka, Minnesota. That's where my brother an Anoka County Sheriff lives and works. Also the name has been changed to VISTA OUTDOORS! Federal lost a huge military contract and closed a plant in Missouri. The problem with Primers, and mainly Federal Gold Medal Match Primers is that they use their stock of Primers for their ammunition that they sell first. Whats left is then sold a a component, primers. This is what they told me when I was up there actually at the plant the 1st week of July. They told me that primers should be readily available after the 1st of November since most of their big orders coincide with the nations hunting seasons.
Sure does not help us reloading hunters for this season. I managed to find some this morning. Had to buy 3K but thats the way it goes. Its funny they told you that, the local gun shop here told me that they have not seen fed primers in 3 yrs. So, makes me wonder what readily available to them means. Most of the bigger reloading supply co's have not had them for quite some time, yrs, also.

Sure does not help us reloading hunters for this season. I managed to find some this morning. Had to buy 3K but thats the way it goes. Its funny they told you that, the local gun shop here told me that they have not seen fed primers in 3 yrs. So, makes me wonder what readily available to them means. Most of the bigger reloading supply co's have not had them for quite some time, yrs, also.

I hear ya XParaman and I feel it too. I've always used Federal Gold Medal Match Primers in my loading. I strive for the BEST in what I do so therefore I purchase The Best, or so I thought. When I was in Minnesota the main reason I went directly to Federal aka Vista Outdoors, that's what it says on the outside of the Plant now is to purchase some Fed. GM Match Primers in bulk. I figured why not go directly to "The Well" to find when I prefer. I was informed that they don't sell directly to the public. They do however sell to employees. I also met a fellow that makes primers there; he told me there is virtually "NO " between regular primers and Gold Medal Match Primers. I was in awe! I replied "Why then do you sell Gold Medal Match Primers"? As a SERIOUS Long Range Shooter I strive for supreme accuracy in each and round I load, each and every weapon I own, and each and every shot I take. Be it on paper or on prey! I don't scrimp on powder, primers or brass or bullets so I was taken aback to say the least. I have marked that conversation up to "Hear Say" and will continue to buy only Gold Medal Match Primers given the opportunity! But as you did, I will buy in BULK whenever I do find them for sale! Like I said earlier, "I hear ya and I feel ya Brother"! Ted Smith Jr

I don't know if they're any better than any other primers or not but I like the Federal GMM 215M primers for my SAUM rifles and they're what Nosler recommends with their loading data.

I bought some a couple of months ago from Midway by using the "Notify Me" button and when I got the email I quickly placed my order and was lucky enough to catch a "free hazmat" order time as well.

Here's the link and it's simple enough to use "Notify Me" and forget it but don't hesitate to place the order when you get the email because hard to find stuff usually sells out within the first hour or so after the emails are sent.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...d-medal-large-rifle-magnum-match-215m-primers

LDHUNTER Thanks brother, I'm already on the "Notify Me" list but this can help out all the fellows that aren't. I'm like you, I prefer Gold Medal Match over any others. In my opinion they are the BEST! Even if there is really not a noticeable difference between them and others; I like the "Mental Edge" I get knowing ALL my components and equipment is the BEST! I strive to keep my MIND and BODY at it's best so the only real variable I have to contend with is Mother Nature and my intended TARGET! Ted Smith Jr

Scheels in Billings, MT has been cycling 210M and 215M across their shelves for about 6 months now. Hit and miss, but a call to them wouldn't hurt.

I know a few folks that have switched from Fed 215's to CCI 250's because of availability, and haven't looked back! Other primers will work with your loads, I used nothing but federals for years, not the case any more. I currently use a lot of CCI primers.

I don't want to brand bash but, last spring I received 200 wlrm primers,( I usually use fed or cci ) and loaded up 100 154 grn and 100 145 grn rnds. 7mm,rm. The powder and amounts that I used where 1 tenth below max and my "goto" loads. At the range 3 out of 20 rnds of 154's had small pin holes in the primers and 2 out of 3 rnds of 145's had the same holes.
Put all away went home and started pulling bullets and checking powder wieghts. All weights where +/- 1 tenth of a grain. I then deprimed (tossed the wlrm primers) reprimed with ccilrm and started out all over again.
Had I started at the start load and worked up would there have been any blown primers? That I cannot answer but, my lesson learnt is if it works dont ###k with it and if you do change your powder or primer do a work up.
Too bad that I did not record the lot # but, has anyone had any issues with wlrm primers?

No personal experience, but I have read on here about multiple experiences stating the Winchesters were very soft. Seemed they exhibited typical primer related pressure signs at lower charges than other primers, and at seemingly safe pressures.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.