Federal Primers Pierce. Heads up

Dang it...I really hope this is a rare and isolated incident as I have many thousands of Federal primers (who doesn't stock up when they buy?) I'm surprised Federal seemed so disinterested in the problem. A pierced (firing pin) primer is one thing, but to have a hole appear elsewhere in the primer seems like a defect the manufacturer should have more interest in. I would love to see a picture of the hole in the primer if you have one to post. I've never seen that before.

I had that happen a number of years back in my 7stw with a couple of 215's in a known good load. It was in brass I bought used... Tossed the brass and no more failures out of that brick and I'm probably a couple bricks past it too.

I have 7000 Federal primers, some are six-seven years old. When I buy them they go in the vacuum sealer and date marked plus it's very dry here in Az and they're in the house with the AC going all the time. Take a few hundred out and reseal the rest. Never any primer problems.

Dang it...I really hope this is a rare and isolated incident as I have many thousands of Federal primers (who doesn't stock up when they buy?) I'm surprised Federal seemed so disinterested in the problem. A pierced (firing pin) primer is one thing, but to have a hole appear elsewhere in the primer seems like a defect the manufacturer should have more interest in. I would love to see a picture of the hole in the primer if you have one to post. I've never seen that before.
Photo has been added to post

Louis,
Were these the last 3 rounds or no?
I think we all fell into a trap of thinking we know it is the primer. It may well be, but it may also be possible something was on the bolt face in that area.

Louis,
Were these the last 3 rounds or no?
I think we all fell into a trap of thinking we know it is the primer. It may well be, but it may also be possible something was on the bolt face in that area.
They were random. The bolt face is fine except for the etching even now it is fine to shoot. I shot it several times after the last primer failure.

Attachments

• 20190622_100509.jpg
    20190622_100509.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.