Federal Primers Pierce. Heads up

louis f

20190621_122721.jpg 20190621_122725.jpg Just got back from a prairie dog shoot. If you are like me you shoot many rounds. Had 3 pierced primers that etched my bolt face. The pierce is on the radius of the cup not a firing pin pierce. Called Federal Ammunition and told them about their FED 205 M primers. There answer was that the primers were old, 10 years old to be exact. I for one buy primers by the sleeve do to availability. They told me that there is no way to tell when the primers got contaminated. With that said, a friend had the same thing happen with Winchester primers and they said there that it was not a common problem, So he just let it go. I was on this forum a few months later and people started saying they had the same problem with Winchester primers. My friend called Winchester back at that time and the story had changed. Winchester replaced his primers and offered to pay for any gunsmithing work. Like I said I buy components when you can find them. So I buy large quantities. Because you never know who is going to be in the White House. Things can dry up pretty fast if you know what I mean. Just thought I would put this out there maybe others have had the same problem. Update: After many phone calls to federal talking about all the variables. Their answer, it was caused by stress corrosion cracking.

Attachments

• 20190622_100509.jpg
    20190622_100509.jpg
    665.4 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:
morning, all I use is federal m primers. I have never had a
problem with there primers. casings and caliber used?
look at the cases that were pierced at the primer pocket.
look at the casing inside and out. if u can cut the casing in
2 pieces. do the same with casing in the batch of brass
that did not pierce the primer pocket. compare?
check the primer pocket and fire hole. see if they r the
same?
how many rounds did u shoot and how fast?
is this the first time this has happened?
sorry for many questions, but to have an idea as to the
cause need circumstances. others will ask the same
questions. justme gbot tum

Just got back from a prairie dog shoot. If you are like me you shoot many rounds. Had 3 pierced primers that etched my bolt face. The pierce is on the radius of the cup not a firing pin pierce. Called Federal Ammunition and told them about their FED 205 M primers. There answer was that the primers were old, 10 years old to be exact. I for one buy primers by the sleeve do to availability. They told me that there is no way to tell when the primers got contaminated. With that said, a friend had the same thing happen with Winchester primers and they said there that it was not a common problem, So he just let it go. I was on this forum a few months later and people started saying they had the same problem with Winchester primers. My friend called Winchester back at that time and the story had changed. Winchester replaced his primers and offered to pay for any gunsmithing work. Like I said I buy components when you can find them. So I buy large quantities. Because you never know who is going to be in the White House. Things can dry up pretty fast if you know what I mean. Just thought I would put this out there maybe others have had the same problem.
What cartridge and powder were you loading?

same?
I never Shoot enough rounds to get my barrels hot 6 or maybe 8 rounds.

same?
The primer cup not the primer pocket.

I have shot probably 50k+ rounds over the last 15 or so years. I have only had one single pierced primer. A Fed GM210M 2 weeks ago. It was in a hot fire forming load in 6.5SS pushing a 150 SMK @ 3070fps. I have had a ton of flattened or cratered primers in finding where max loads are.

Thanks for the post.
Manufacturers will never be perfect and it's always nice to flag when they fail. As opposed to some Federal Premium 7WSM ammo I got that would not chamber, where they refused to follow up with a failure analysis, I hope Federal addresses this primer issue.

I've used multiple brands, and like most, purchased when availability was tight too. Had some issues with feds and 30/06, running 2750 chrono'd fps and 168gr match rounds in a 24" tube. It happens and bolts are not fun to replace.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts