Federal Land Sale

geo4061

I was listening to a presidential hopeful give his acceptance speech after winning all the republican delegates in Wyoming. He said he wanted the states to take control of our federal land. Of which they would sell a large percentage and then manage the rest. The people applauded. He likened it to Texas. Wait a minute! Sell! This means the fences will go up and everyone will be shut out. Except for the wealthy and their friends. The state will probably keep land with water to sell to the cities and what ever they can not sell. You can bet the cream will be gone or high fenced and priced so high none of us will be able to us it. I know the Feds have done a terrible job but believe me Texas has done a terrible job managing what LITTLE bit of public land it has. We certainly do not want a land sell so please remember this when you go to vote.

Do you have a link stating the land would be sold?

All I have heard is the lands would be turned over to the states for them to manage.

Tex

I think the main thought is that the states could not afford to manage the land and would have to sell large amounts of it for development, private corporate ranching, etc. Just the cost of fighting wildfire alone would probably bankrupt a lot of western states.

Then the small time ranchers, who are always demanding "free" grazing rights, would probably be cut out entirely. All the states would be left with is smaller plots of land that are worthless for anything else, including recreation.

Oregon right now is having to sell off a big chunk of it's state forests that it has used for years to support the school system by selling logging rights on it. The state can't afford to manage it. If Weyerhaeuser gets it, they will lock it up, with no public access except for fall hunting via paid permit only. May have already happened, haven't kept track lately...

I do not have a link this was in his speech when he was accepting his Wyoming win. It was on Live Fox News. Perhaps someone that is computer savvy can find it? This is a terrible idea. Please tell your friends that will vote in the next few days or weeks.

I think the main thought is that the states could not afford to manage the land and would have to sell large amounts of it for development, private corporate ranching, etc. Just the cost of fighting wildfire alone would probably bankrupt a lot of western states.

Then the small time ranchers, who are always demanding "free" grazing rights, would probably be cut out entirely. All the states would be left with is smaller plots of land that are worthless for anything else, including recreation.

Oregon right now is having to sell off a big chunk of it's state forests that it has used for years to support the school system by selling logging rights on it. The state can't afford to manage it. If Weyerhaeuser gets it, they will lock it up, with no public access except for fall hunting via paid permit only. May have already happened, haven't kept track lately...

Based upon what I've read and presentations I've attended, this seems to be the consensus. Texas and Oregon are prime examples.

I guess I am a little slow. Just Google Ted Cruz on our Federal Lands. He wants to privatize a large portion and turn the rest over to the states. This is a disaster for the outdoors man. Field and Stream wrote" I can't help but think if Theodore Roosevelt could see the current scam being peddled to American Sportsman he'd be fighting mad." Trump is the only one that wants to keep the land federally controlled.

Cruz isn't going to get elected, so not much to worry about there. But if Clinton is elected, she'll likely come after our guns, not long after she pardons herself.

I am glad we can laugh but it scares the hell out of me. A young Bernie may be our president in a few years. The young people think he does no wrong. They feel displaced and only a very few have a chance at living as good or better than we do. I do not know how to change this mess we have let our politicians and the wealthy put us in. Kool, I think you are right. The Republican party is so divided they win. Google, Judge Jeanine on the Republican Establishment. Plus if you want to know more about Mitt Romney Google Judge Jeanine on Mitt Romney. Better yet FEENIX please post these short videos. Thanks!

I am glad we can laugh but it scares the hell out of me. A young Bernie may be our president in a few years. The young people think he does no wrong. They feel displaced and only a very few have a chance at living as good or better than we do. I do not know how to change this mess we have let our politicians and the wealthy put us in. Kool, I think you are right. The Republican party is so divided they win. Google, Judge Jeanine on the Republican Establishment. Plus if you want to know more about Mitt Romney Google Judge Jeanine on Mitt Romney. Better yet FEENIX please post these short videos. Thanks!

Not sure if this is what you meant but here's some opening statements ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/YGeI-pLD4Ls?t=191[/ame]

[ame]https://youtu.be/JFINEyHeUBc?t=37[/ame]

BTW, the Judge R:DCKS!

Thank you! I thought it was important for everyone to see where the big money stands. I also think they may try to insert Romney. Appreciate your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.