Fed 210 primer vs 215

hemiford

Well I know there have been discussions on this. Here's my question:
Can I generalize on what case capacity to use a 210 vs a 215 ?
For example, use a 210 on a 30-06/270 case and smaller, use a 215 on a 7RM/300Win and larger ??

I know there may be other reasons to use a 215, such as shooting in cold temps, or maybe in a
higher pressure load like when using a heavy-for-caliber bullet, maybe hot ball powders,
as well as other possible circumstances.

Just wondering if total powder volume could be generalized.
I wouldn't think you would need a 215 in a 7mm Creedmore, for example.

There is so much overlap and exception to a "general rule" that I'm not sure what good it does us, but in general if you were to want to start tuning a magnum you probably want some 215s to start with.

No, with a chronograph, the ES/SD numbers will tell you which primer is preferred. Magnum primers usage is not governed by volume as far as I can tell. A WLR is all I need for 125g of H50BMG in my 338-416 Rigby Improved…no other standard primer works, all others give me hang fires.

Cheers.

Well ... a general rule that I was taught many moons ago was that loads up to about 70gr of powder used LR (non mag) primers and loads over 70gr used magnum LR primers.
But, as others have said, there are many variables and much overlap to consider.

It would appear that many shooters are having good luck with non-mag primers in their 7PRC loads. I've only tested with Fed 215M primers, but I will be switching to Fed 210M primers soon to see if it improves consistency.

I started using standard LR primers as magnum primer availability began to wane. I found many times thy gave better ES/SD than the mag primers. I still use mag primers in cold weather loads, particularly with slow burning, difficult to ignite powders.

I've converted both my 7 rem mag and 270 WSM to large rifle primers and am very happy with the results. I'm now running large rifle primers in everything under 70 grains as was stated by a previous poster. I've tested down to 15 degrees and see no differences in ignition.

Well ... a general rule that I was taught many moons ago was that loads up to about 70gr of powder used LR (non mag) primers and loads over 70gr used magnum LR primers.
But, as others have said, there are many variables and much overlap to consider.

It would appear that many shooters are having good luck with non-mag primers in their 7PRC loads. I've only tested with Fed 215M primers, but I will be switching to Fed 210M primers soon to see if it improves consistency.
This folklore started as an ad by Federal after they developed the magnum primer for Roy Weatherby, it was in some outdoor life publication and coined the 60+g of powder BS needing a magnum primer, then reloading manuals jumped on the wagon and started telling everyone the 'rules'. Then every primer manufacturer made magnum primers, and then, most made BR primers too…
The ONLY need for a magnum primer is low density loadings and hard to ignite, read COLD TEMP, ball powders that aren't compressed. Ball powders thrive on compression and heavy crimping…

Cheers.