Fed 215 vs. 215M

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by PGJPJ, Aug 8, 2015.

1. PGJPJ

PGJPJ Well-Known Member

I'm trying to compile components for an upcoming 280ai build. My goals are to shoot 168 grn bullets consistently well out to 600 yards.

Anyway, I want to have all my components together before the upcoming presidential election, before everyone panic-buys everything they can. I was finally able to find a brick of Fed 215, but I was hoping to get some 215M.

My question: Will there be enough of a difference in standard divination and extreme spread with the 215 over the 215m to worry about at 600 yards? This will be a big game hunting rifle primarily.

Thx! :D

2. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

Most (if not all) end users will never be able to tell, but my personal choice is pay the extra $$$ and get the manufacturer's consistency/uniformity claim and go with the 215Ms but that's just me.

Having said that, I prefer CCI250 and have gotten better results on most of my loads. :cool:

3. Radhimself

Radhimself Well-Known Member

Where as i have had issues with cci's over the fed

4. FEENIX

FEENIX Well-Known Member

lightbulbSimply stick with what best works for you.lightbulb

5. Rick Richard

Rick Richard Well-Known Member

I can't tell the difference between the two. Besides the 215M is impossible to find in my area.

6. Varmint Hunter

Varmint Hunter Well-Known Member

I can't see any difference whatsoever in my custom 338 RUM. However, I still buy the 215M primers whenever they are available. But ... I also shoot the 205m and 210M primers for no particular reason. :D

7. MudRunner2005

MudRunner2005 Well-Known Member

I have seen no difference between the regular and Match Federal primers with any model primers and calibers that I've loaded for. That being said, the regular and Match primers cost the exact same at my local store, so, if they have the Match primers, I choose those, since they have been weighed and sorted at the manufacturing plant, which saves me the trouble.

8. Garycrow

Garycrow Well-Known Member

I do the same. I buy the M's if I can find them, but if not then I don't worry about it and I've never noticed a bit of difference between them, it's strictly a feel-good thing in my opinion.

I use Federals in my hunting rifles because I've had several misfires over the years with CCI's. Not many, a couple using CCI 250's and a couple with 450's. I've never had a federal primer misfire so I use them in my hunting loads due to the extra reliability and peace of mind.

9. Rich Coyle

Rich Coyle Well-Known Member

This sounds like a firing pin spring problem. I had the experience and had a heavier spring installed and none misfired after that.

10. Barrelnut

Barrelnut Well-Known Member

I have had the same issue. Yes a new spring in a NEW RIFLE may fix it. But in the end, I believe CCI primers have thicker cups. Have read that some competition pistol shooters use light springs for various reasons and they do not use CCI primers because of this.
    Yes, you might change a firing pin spring. Might fix it, might not. I would rather use a primer that is more compatible with my springs. I cringe at the thought of having a CCI primer do nothing during the shot of a life time. Even if it is one in 5 thousand that fail.

11. Marine sniper

Marine sniper Well-Known Member

600 yards- no.....

215 is a pretty hot primer for a 30-06 size case.

12. Garycrow

Garycrow Well-Known Member

It was three different rifles. A ruger 7mm mag, a M70 winchester 7mm mag, and a savage rebarreled to 6BR. Those are the only misfires the Ruger and Winchester have ever had, and the Savage has thousands of rounds through it. All that's ever been used in the savage has been CCI450's and I continue to use them. It's a target and prairie dog rifle so two misfires out of a couple of thousand rounds doesn't concern me. Hunting rifles get federals because I trust them to go bang, if I give up a bit of accuracy I don't mind.

13. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I have used both the standard and match grade Federal 210 and 215 primers in numerous cartridges for many years and have never seen a material difference in velocity, ES, or dimensions. While I would never claim to be the final word on this, I have not seen a test from from anyone that indicates otherwise. There have been various explanations about Federal's production and QC differences between them from how the primer paste is prepared, to that they are only visually inspected. The only difference we will ever know for sure is that the box they come in is different, they usually cost more, and it makes a whole lot of shooters feel more confident about their loads. IMO.

14. Mateo

Mateo Well-Known Member

It very possible the 210 will give you lower ES than a 215m in your 280ai. Smaller primers usually give a more consistant ignition. That's why lapua makes .308 win cases with small rifle primer pockets as well as large rifle primer pockets.