Fawn Killer Gets Lead Poisoning, Is that a good thing?

My daughter when she was little (shes 27 now) had her cat killed in our back yard by a coyote and its been on since then I see them and they die. I hunt them all winter Nov-Mar but summer time out they come out in the field they are done 22 Creedmoor sitting by back door. Also none in the yard since we got our Rottweilers we just find a chewed up mess that used to be a coyote left. I honestly think they play tug of war with them as I have found multiple halves of coyotes. 1 male 130lbs 1 female 115lbs and they are coyote killing machines :)

I tend to wake up early and today was cool in central Washington so I had the windows open. Long before the sun crested the ridge behind the house, I hear what sounds like a couple of fawn bawling. I look out the window and easily spot a doe and two fawns running flat out a couple hundred yards away. I pulled out the binoculars and quickly picked out about 8 distressed deer (does and fawns) pinned up near a fence across the canyon north of my place. I suspect coyote so I go to the safe and pull out the Valkyrie. By the time I can get geared up the fawn bawling has quit and most of the deer have left except for one doe and fawn that keep hanging around. I'm 90% sure I know what happened so I hang around with a spotting scope and the Valkyrie. A case of 250 yd 80.5 grain lead poisoning occurs a little later.
I personally am kind of a live and let live kind of guy concerning coyotes but I certainly enjoy the deer in my yard a whole lot more than whatever mice the coyotes are killing out in the hills. I'm interested in what our forum thinks of coyotes, and how proactive one should be in dealing with them.
Our deer population has taken a beating, lack of recruitment. Coyotes are to blame. We love this time of the year watching the does and fawns in our back yard. Coyotes are targets of opportunity.

I used to lease a ranch in Sterling City, Texas for deer hunting. The landowner had sheep on the ranch, and told me that he would give us a case of beer for every coyote we killed. He said the coyotes would kill the sheep, and not even eat them. They would chase the sheep around the pasture like a feeding frenzy, and after they killed one they would run after and kill another and they seemed to enjoy it. We were happy to kill the coyotes for him, and we didn't even accept the beer. We felt we were doing him and the sheep a favor. I sure miss Mr. Drennan and that Ranch.

I think wolves have a place in the chain of life. I know ranchers and elk/deer hunter may have a different opinion, but nature has a balancing system. Wolves take out the sick elk ect. We all know the equitation. In nature there has to be a balance. When one species get more abundant well another has to go. We can debate this until the end of time.
I do think that coyotes are much much more devastating than wolves. One you don't see wolves in downtown Atlanta. I have worked with wolves in captivity/wild and they are a very timid animal, coyotes are opposite. Wolves only breed to keep their pack within what the area has for food. Coyotes breed like rats. The more you kill the more they breed.
Don't get me wrong, but I respect all animals. Over 50+ years of hunting I don't just want to shoot and kill something just to kill it-UNLESS there is a purpose to kill it. I like to eat wild game! I have killed squirrels because they destroyed my wiring on my truck and tractor (shot over 250 but cooked them), shot 10 of dozens of hogs (ate some, but not the big boars), killed every coyote I have seen and never ate them.
Would love to shoot a Wolf if it was in an area where they were a problem and there was a population to keep them in check.
Just remember if we, as hunters now, Kill everything, what will be left for future generations!!!!!
Man kind has been killing coyotes for many decades and we haven't eradicated them and never will. At the end of the world there will be 2 survivors coyotes and cockroaches

I used to lease a ranch in Sterling City, Texas for deer hunting. The landowner had sheep on the ranch, and told me that he would give us a case of beer for every coyote we killed. He said the coyotes would kill the sheep, and not even eat them. They would chase the sheep around the pasture like a feeding frenzy, and after they killed one they would run after and kill another and they seemed to enjoy it. We were happy to kill the coyotes for him, and we didn't even accept the beer. We felt we were doing him and the sheep a favor. I sure miss Mr. Drennan and that Ranch.
We lived in the NC mtns for many years. Like many people in this environment we had 3 cats who took care of the mice which we also had. Mama kitty had a litter of 5 kittens. We locked all the cats up in the barn every night. Then the coyotes showed up, killed all 8 cats in a matter of two months. After that having a cat was impossible.

That's why you have that Valkyrie isn't it?
That is why my Son built his!

Attachments

• 20210306_175657.jpg
    20210306_175657.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 80
In my state, Nevada, There are only two predators that take care of the mice and rats. coyotes and rattle snakes. I dislike both. the least objectionable are the desert rattlers. they are slower than the western diamondbacks. Coyotes are the scourge of the valleys around me and my own. these little wolves take cats, small dogs, gang up on medium and larger dogs, and take calves, full grown milk cows, and anything else they can get to. I have seen them try to take a 6 year-old little girl trying to feed baby goats, along with the baby goats. I am starting to believe that coyotes are as useless as they are smart. the only thing they can not get away from are Greyhounds and high speed copper and lead. personally my 22-250 does a wonderful job at stopping them in their tracks. the goat farmers and the dog breeders around here have a list of phone numbers that includes me to take care of the problem.

That's why you have that Valkyrie isn't it?
Nice looking rifle.

It was always going to be my coyote rifle if the need arose. In the past, I passed on the coyotes and just shot steel targets in the hills behind the house. I run mine suppressed with NX8 4x32 scope. Both the grandkids can hit steel with further than the coyote was. With the TBAC Ultra 7 on, it is one of the most enjoyable guns I have to shoot and it isn't as expensive as my magnums as long as I reload for it.

In Idaho I've seen packs from 4 or 5 to as many as 12. They take turns running the deer until it is exhausted and then they move in for the kill. In Montana, they not only trim the deer herds, but are bothersome to livestock as well. It was common to see two or three different packs while deer hunting there 4 years ago. The rancher mentioned the problem and gave us the okie dokie to take them out whenever possible. Our family friend who was totally against shooting or trapping coyotes until her little dog was dragged thru the fence from their backyard in rural San Diego.

Another thing that is happening is the explosion of the population of mountain lions across the west. We used to go years without seeing them while deer hunting, but now it's common to see them every other day.

and the reintroduction of wolves is a natual resource pandemic in several states. Moose were a common sighting in Yellowstone Park 25 years ago. I've made an annual trip thru this park for the past 12 years and have yet to see one. And the elk and sheep herds are a fraction of what they were. The feds need to let the states determine when enough is enough.

In Idaho I've seen packs from 4 or 5 to as many as 12. They take turns running the deer until it is exhausted and then they move in for the kill. In Montana, they not only trim the deer herds, but are bothersome to livestock as well. It was common to see two or three different packs while deer hunting there 4 years ago. The rancher mentioned the problem and gave us the okie dokie to take them out whenever possible. Our family friend who was totally against shooting or trapping coyotes until her little dog was dragged thru the fence from their backyard in rural San Diego.

Another thing that is happening is the explosion of the population of mountain lions across the west. We used to go years without seeing them while deer hunting, but now it's common to see them every other day.

and the reintroduction of wolves is a natual resource pandemic in several states. Moose were a common sighting in Yellowstone Park 25 years ago. I've made an annual trip thru this park for the past 12 years and have yet to see one. And the elk and sheep herds are a fraction of what they were. The feds need to let the states determine when enough is enough.
You mean the WILDLIFE BIOLOGIST, they got a bunch of them fellers in Washington too.

. I have seen them try to take a 6 year-old little girl trying to feed baby goats.
Freddy. Thats as scary as it can get. I've told this to my wife and maybe only 2 other people. But then i am getting older so it could be more. Haha..
I live in NJ so i typically hunt deer here. A few years ago i was hunting a new spot and had a pretty good long walk into the woods. Its archery season and i had my crossbow with me at that time. After a great hunt (shot nothing) but enjoyed being out there watching critters doing their thing. So sun sets legal shooting is over, i gather up my stuff ready to climb out of my tree stand. I then head deer walking in my direction. So i sit and wait till they pass. But while they are pretty much under me they take off like a bomb went off. I was like what the Heck made them run like that. Then i head all the Howells and noise. I was like ok thats why. Now they are under me and its dark out cant see but can hear them sniffing and everything.
So after i feel its safe to get down i get my stuff and start my longish track out of there. Well i get 3 to 400 hundred yards away from my stand heading towards my truck. I hear running to my right i shine my light on it and glowing eyes 25 yards away yote 1. I hear another so i turn left 30 yards #2. Infront of me i see #3 &4. Behind me i see #5,6,7,8. Then i saw more to my right and left so guessing it was about 10 altogether. Now remember i live in NJ so we are not allowed to carry a sidearm for defense. So i am hunting in the pinebarrons with lots of scrub oak and had no trees to climb. I just said to myself i am going to continue to my truck. This pack followed me for about 800 to 1000 yards till i crossed this small wooden bridge. I threw hollered screamed to no avail. They never stopped following till i got to that bridge. My truck was only another 200 yeards away after that. I still think of this EVER time i go to the woods and am walking into or out of it when its dark.

These yotes in NJ are not like the western yotes. Small ones here are like 35 to 40 lbs. We have them killed in the 60 to 80 lbs all the time from local clubs.

One of my truly scary times walking in the woods for me. And if i am truly honest i still get scared walking into the woods or out of the woods when its dark. Writing this i can feel my heart pounding out of my chest just recounting this story. Ugg i need a drink.

That little 6 y/o you talked about scares the crap out of me for her

I tend to wake up early and today was cool in central Washington so I had the windows open. Long before the sun crested the ridge behind the house, I hear what sounds like a couple of fawn bawling. I look out the window and easily spot a doe and two fawns running flat out a couple hundred yards away. I pulled out the binoculars and quickly picked out about 8 distressed deer (does and fawns) pinned up near a fence across the canyon north of my place. I suspect coyote so I go to the safe and pull out the Valkyrie. By the time I can get geared up the fawn bawling has quit and most of the deer have left except for one doe and fawn that keep hanging around. I'm 90% sure I know what happened so I hang around with a spotting scope and the Valkyrie. A case of 250 yd 80.5 grain lead poisoning occurs a little later.
I personally am kind of a live and let live kind of guy concerning coyotes but I certainly enjoy the deer in my yard a whole lot more than whatever mice the coyotes are killing out in the hills. I'm interested in what our forum thinks of coyotes, and how proactive one should be in dealing with them.
A little gory but he was looking straight at me when I popped him with a 208 gr ELD M, at say 80 yards if I recall. Did not even wiggle after he hit the ground. Hit it slightly to the right of his nose just above his lip.

1629915277426.jpeg