Favorite Dangerous Game Round

That bullet isn't designed for that kind of velocity. The 375 gr TSX would work pretty good I think tho. I've had the 350 gr Hornady RN disintegrate on deer when pushed from the 458 win mag. Made a gross mess. And I was loading it below 2500fps .

I know the flex tip was not designed for high velocity but sometimes the rockchucks you are shooting require more velocity to leave this world in a spectacular fashion. I use my big bores on varmints all year long and pistol bullets are cheap and available. Try a 275 grain barnes pistol bullet in a 50 cal at over 3400 fps on a black bear and you will be amazed how fast it will die
Ross

I have a 9.3x62 in a pre-64 model 70, still in the factory wood stock. Also got two big bores; a 375 h and h and .416 Remington, both are the Safari Model 70's. I think any of the 3 are certainly capable of killing any ****ed off critter. Good bullets in the right spot....I also think sometimes guys don't give enough thought to follow up shots. You need enough rifle to get the job done, but with managable enough recoil that you can get a quick 2nd shot if need be.

The 9.3 has a tremendous amount of killing power with recoil that is not much more than a 30-06.

For way up close the 416 is the best for flattening them of the 3 . The 375 H+H I'd a great standard. The 9.3x62 Mauser with a 250 gr bullet at 2500 fps closely duplicates the 375 . .
With brown bear anyway.

The trick is to get real close to them. Under 50 feet is great ..

Well, I think I'll start with most the African dangerous game, other than cats. My pick would be pretty much anything between the 458 Lott and 460 Wby magnums. The big cat's could be 3"/3 ½ inch 12ga to 458 Win Mag. My personal pick would be the .375 H&H magnum; mainly due to its wide performance envelope; good long range, hard hitting up close, very controllable for needed follow ups, last'…, very accurate with all bullet weight and styles. It's kinda like the B-52 bomber of the hunting world…. nothing special, been around forever in the aircraft industry and military… it just keeps getting the job done all over the world.

So now with that said; BEAR'S! Something more of us are likely to run into. I like my Winchester M71 .348 Win using Barnes 250gr originals… it's fast and hard hitting at close range... Not to mention very controllable.
I also like my 12ga pump with heavy slugs.
Just for out and out hunting one; well again the .375 H&H pops into my mind, as does the 340 Wby Mag and the 338 Rem Ultra Mag and any in there performance class.

As a side note; I was watching a program on T.V not long ago, I thinks it was called The Yukon or something like that on the History Channel. Anyway... one of the families's had a grizzly bear coming in very boldly raiding their Salmon smoke house. Well'.., one of the young men... "a teenager"... grabbed his AR15 carbine {along with the film crew} and others in the family, they went outside to address this bear issue; as to who was the rightful owners of the smoked Salmon. I'm not sure, but it looked like it was one or possible two rounds fired from that AR15 CAR into the head and/or neck; an that old bear was as dead as the Salmon he was trying steal, "I mean in his tracks dead"… this was no grizzly cub nor yearling bear, this was a very, very large and mature grizzly bear. So is an AR15 CAR 5.56mm a good bear rifle and cartridge for grizzly? I think not too many veritable could go wrong, but it could do the job in a pinch it would appear.

With that said those are my picks and my .02
Cheers

PS: On the African game… I'd also like the PH behind me with his .505 or .600 doubles at the ready. Safety first, one could put an eye out.

Never got a chance to try it but think my .450 Ackley Mag would do nicely for browns with plenty to spare. All I've ever used in the past was .375 H&H, .338 WM, and a .300 WM; all of them worked very well with the bear only having a split second "oh s#%t" moment before they piled up quite dead.

For blacks I have a .375 Gibbs I would like to use, maybe next year. So far everything I have tried and seen tried (.260 Rem to .375 H&H) worked just fine on blacks.

Nothing makes up for shot placement, even rem40xb1's behemoth .500 A-Square can not make up for a poorly placed shot.

I always thought a .495 A-Square would be fun on a p-14 action I have laying around... Maybe one of these days.

Strangely enough my elk fell to a 430 grain hard cast lead bullet from a 45-70 Guide Gun this year at 35 yards......hardly long range.
I thought I had missed the elk it disappeared from sight so fast.
But in truth it hadn't taken a step after the bullet hit it & dropped like the proverbial "bag of hammers".
This is a round that was designed and intended for Grizzlies & Brown Bears.:D

Since I'll likely never have an opportunity to hunt DG in Africa, I would be very comfortable using my 9.3x62 (CZ 550 American Kevlar) for most anything in North America.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.