supporter fiction v facts: Ruger v Tikka

Ruger Precision Gen 3 Bolt-Action Rifle
vs
Tikka T3x TAC A1 Bolt-Action Rifle​

I've been reading a lot about these 2 and really approach neither with bias. The online forums definitely favor the Tikka. But I'm really getting nothing more than opinions:

But as always the truth is more complex than supporters would have you believe. So, with some measure of trepidation, I ask:
Does one far outstrip the other? I've never actual seen any data to back up these opinions. But they are asserted with absolute certainty. Is there actual data that gives one the advantage over the other?
Tikka all the way

The quotes you posted are subjective opinions. Asking for data to back them up is nonsensical. The only data that can be had is regarding objective conclusions about the rifles, and no one on any forums has owned enough of both rifles to create a sample size large enough to generate the data you ask for.

In other words, it's up to you.

When I buy a tactical/target rifle in a chassis, I like to figure the components and their cost. What can I do with the rifle. What are the upgrades available and how does the components compare. Are the actions equal in material, are the triggers comparable and easily adjustable. How do they feel in your hands? I'm not sure about the Tikka but I know the Ruger is very purpose based. I can't just take the action and barrel out and put it in a hunting stock. I recently spent slightly more for a semi custom with a defiant action in 300 PRC because I can use a Remington stock With large barrel channel and remove it from its MDT chassis. I didn't buy the Ruger precision because their was no real upgrade. Again, I don't know about the Tikka. Not to get off course as you asked about those 2 specifically, but Howa and Savage make very nice entry level tactical/target rifles with ability to be upgraded Easily. Guess you could buy both and try them out, in today's gun shortage you could sell the one you don't like for list price.

Don't complicate it unnecessarily (esp. when you only have two to choose from), this is not going to be your last. Only you can make it as complex or simple as possible. Personal preference and intended purpose play a major role in decision-making and no one knows it better than you. You must synthesize the information being presented to you in order to make a sound decision. This is why "I" never ask for what rifle to build or buy. Good luck!

View attachment 211254
Very well put! or Statement. If allowed you would be ran around in a circle getting nowhere. It's fun to watch all the off shoots.

I have the Tikka in 6.5 no regrets, it's a great rifle. The things I don't like, the very high rail without elevation. It's b1tch to remove. Same with the stock, If you want to change the stock a thread locker/adhesive that's same as used on the rail is used. Doesn't seem to release with heat or water And as I said is a B1tch to remove. I don't really like the handguard but it's OK. I had the barrel swapped after many 1000s of rounds and the profile at the chamber is non-standard to fit through the handguard. Since the barrel change (benchmark m24) it shoots as good as factory maybe a tad better. The RPR is so easily modified with prefit barrels etc it does have it's advantages. I'd probably still buy the Tikka, maybe the CTR and put it in a KRG Bravo chassis. Out of the box I like the Tikka better. PS although expensive the Tikka mags are GREAT!

Last edited:
If the gun doesn't fit you must acquit- I have shot a lot of rifles and I have the opinion that the barrel,stock,trigger and how far my finger is from the trigger means more to me than who's name is on it.that is why I just start with a donor rifle I just picked one up last week and trying to decide if I should shoot it and take it apart or just take it apart

vs

I've been reading a lot about these 2 and really approach neither with bias. The online forums definitely favor the Tikka. But I'm really getting nothing more than opinions:

But as always the truth is more complex than supporters would have you believe. So, with some measure of trepidation, I ask:
Does one far outstrip the other? I've never actual seen any data to back up these opinions. But they are asserted with absolute certainty. Is there actual data that gives one the advantage over the other?
You could get a turd or a diamond with either one its just luck of the draw

I have both....

A RPR is always going to be a heavy rifle. The tikka can be placed in a light hunting stock or a chassis.

Barrels - RPR Barrels are easy to change if you buy the tools. Tikka prefits are out now but will likely always be a little more than a RPR barrel. I did a bugnuts Bartlein on my RPR in 6 Creed.

Bolt - Tikka is glass smooth, RPR needs work to make it not sound like a zipper. I send mine to AD ARMS and he made a big difference

Trigger - Tikka is great adjusted down from the factory. I have never been inclined to change anything. RPR is OK. I got a timney trigger for the RPR, couldn't adjust it down below 2 LBS, got a replacement, and still can't get it below 2 LBs without it dropping the hammer on a hard bolt close. YMMV

RPR Chassis - Never warmed up to the factory stock, sold it and did a PRS. Replaced the handguard with a Catalyst ARCA

I have two CTRs, one in a bravo chassis, the other in either the factory stock or GRS depending on what I am doing.

If I could get close to my money back on the RPR I'd take it in a heartbeat. If you like spending $$ on upgrades they are perfect. If you want to buy something settled, buy the Tikka (or a bergara premier or etc...)

I'd HIGHLY recommend starting with a CTR in a factory stock and choosing a platform you like from experience. Chassis just a lazy answer to ergonomics and people not understanding bedding. There are only a handful of contexts where a chassis is somehow more efficient or preferable to me.

I have both rifles that you mention in 308. The Ruger has a short freebore which along with the fact that I use AIC magazines works out quite well for load development. The Tikka has a long freebore, and a magazine that accepts longer bullets so load development is a bit more challenging. However, as off the rack rifles other examples could be different. Both rifles shoot extremely well, with an edge to the Ruger, which is probably me since I have shot the Ruger more since it was acquired a year before the Tikka. You will not go wrong with either one.

When I was building a rifle for extremely close dangerous carnivores. That's chewing on the foot close. I wanted something that would go bang every time. I chose a Ruger RSI stainless and had it re-barreled to 338 MKS. It shoots a 300 grain bullet out of a 18" barrel at 2400 fps. and over 4000 ft. lbs. Not only is it dependable it is one of the strongest actions on the market. In the 52 years I have been using the 77 rifle ( thousands of rounds) I never had one misfire. Confidence when you pull the trigger is important.

Attachments

• IMG_2415 (1).jpg
    IMG_2415 (1).jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 165
vs

Tikka T3 varmint stainless with Timney trigger and Bell Carlson M40 stock its way to go

A friend of mine bought a RPR about the same time I bought my first T3X tac (both 6.5CM). Out of the box, his was a .5MOA rifle, mine was .375MOA. He and I were shooting the same matches, and I won more often than he did, but we were close. My second T3X tac, was a .5MOA. We traded wins regularly, but were very close. Finally, we both re-barreled them and are still neck and neck. This may show more about the shooter than the rifle (I think he is better), but is a fair assessment of performance over a several year period.
FYI, the matches are both 600yd IBS style, and "know you limits" challenges.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.