Family Portrait

TMR

Official LRH Sponsor
Well, after the F-Class comp on Saturday...we decided to take a family photo. Finally had them all together at the same time. The back 2 rifles are the 338 Edge Twins, and the front 2 rifles are the 6.5x47 Lapua "Mini Edges" as we like to call them. Since we compete with the 6.5's, and hunt with the Edges, they are built pretty much with the same feel in mind. Makes transition easy...

Here they are:
Edgegroupphoto001.jpg

Edgegroupphoto002.jpg

Edgegroupphoto003.jpg

TMR,
That is a very nice " family photo"
How does the bottom metal differ between the 2 rigs.Asked another way, what bottom metal did you use on the EDGE, and on the shorter cased 6.5x47 Lapua ?
Very impressive collection. I have read on some of your past posts that you did the paint jobs. Beautiful work. Did you also do thr gunsmithing ?

Thanks for the compliment TB. Not sure when TMR will check the board so I'll answer your questions.....

How does the bottom metal differ between the 2 rigs.Asked another way, what bottom metal did you use on the EDGE, and on the shorter cased 6.5x47 Lapua ?
The Edge's have Seekins long action DBM's and the Mini-Edge's have Badger DBM's. We were going to go with the Seekins DBM on the mini's, but already had a number of AI mags laying around from previous projects.

I have read on some of your past posts that you did the paint jobs. Beautiful work. Did you also do the gunsmithing ?
TMR has in fact done all the work on all four of these rifles, as well as other rifles he and I have posted pics of. I'll try to get some pics of the F-class gun he built for me to shoot posted up this week.

Such a sweet family photo! How did you get the boys to sit there so still? And with their hair combed too...Very Nice family! 30-338

Just in case anyone wants details without having to search through old posts, I figured I'd give a quick rundown off the top of my head:

338 Edge Twins
Action: Rem700
Bottom Metal: Seekins DBM
Trigger: Jewell (1.5#)
Barrel: 31" Broughton 1:10 with DE 1" brake
Stock: Manners T2 with DE cheekpiece
Rail/rings: Nightforce 40moa rail, Nightforce medium rings
Scope: Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS with NP-R1
Primary load: 300gr SMK, 93.0gr H1000, ~2900fps

6.5x47 Lapua (Mini Edge Twins)
Action: Surgeon on left, Lawton on right
Bottom Metal: Badger DBM
Trigger: Jewell (1.5#)
Barrel: 26" Rock M24 1:8 with DE 1" brake
Stock: Manners T2 with DE cheekpiece
Rail/rings: Surgeon/Lawton 20-25moa?, Nightforce medium rings
Scope: Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS with NP-R1
Primary load: 130gr Berger VLD, 42.2gr H-4350, ~3000fps

I think that about covers it. If I missed anything, just ask...gun)

Here ya go....

The 338's took 2 deer and 2 elk this year from 560yds to 730 yds. Here are some groups......We used one of the Mini-Edges to take 2nd place in the 2008 Idaho Sniper Challenge...lost by 3 points and Jesse dropped his rifle and we lost a 150 point stage.

500 yd 338 Edge Groups
338edge008-1.jpg

100 yd 5 shot group from the 6.5x47 ( 5 not including the fowler shot)
65groups001.jpg

Edge Group during break in
338edge007.jpg

560yd 338 Edge Muley
Trav2008MT10.jpg

700yd 338 Edge Elk
2008Elk003.jpg

2008Elk005.jpg

That is some great shooting, TMR.
I've read on another one of your posts that your rifle ways 13.5# with the bipod. What Broughton barrel contour are you using to get that finished weight ?

BB,

We were trying to duplicate the Edge's in a smaller package....I don't think the gas even makes it to the 4th port....recoil is about like a 22lr though....We ran a scenerio at a tac match that was as follows:

there was a 2" steel disc on a pivot that swung side to side around a "hostage" head. The target was at 200yds. The game was shooter A shoots it on the left side, then when it swings around shooter B shoots and the game continues back and forth...3 shots each. We shot the stage in less than 7 seconds!!!! They couldn't get the stop watch stopped fast enough...We like the 4 port DE brakes very much on these rifles.:D:D:D

It does seem kinda wimpy though at times.

TMR,

Are the DE cheekpieces on the T2 the standard DE cheekpiece or has it been modified somewhat to fit that stock? I'm thinking of the same combo for a 338AX.

And, like trueblue, I'd like to know your barrel profile for the 31" Broughton for the 338 Edges.

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.