Factory ammo recommendations -- help!

What you're looking for doesn't exist. Welcome to the realm of handloading.

It may well exist but you might have to put 10 to 15 different ammo types to the test before you even get something worth perusing.

The first thing I did with a new rifle before handloading was sit down at the bench with at least 5 boxes of ammo in the proj weight I wanted to shoot & yeh there were times I still wasn't happy & went out & bought another 5 boxes, then came handloading :)

Its no different to doing the same thing with a .22lr imo!!

The rifle chooses the ammo not the person.

Not to be derogatory here but why does everyone in the USA seemingly now want to shoot game out to like 600-1000 yards??

No one seems to want to actually put in the effort stalk an animal like the old days :rolleyes:

I may have it wrong but its what I see on here frequently!

It may well exist but you might have to put 10 to 15 different ammo types to the test before you even get something worth perusing.

The first thing I did with a new rifle before handloading was sit down at the bench with at least 5 boxes of ammo in the proj weight I wanted to shoot & yeh there were times I still wasn't happy & went out & bought another 5 boxes, then came handloading :)

Its no different to doing the same thing with a .22lr imo!!

The rifle chooses the ammo not the person.

Not to be derogatory here but why does everyone in the USA seemingly now want to shoot game out to like 600-1000 yards??

No one seems to want to actually put in the effort stalk an animal like the old days :rolleyes:

I got lucky with only three or four different types of ammo before the HSM panned out. As far as shooting long distance, it's more about need than want. I hunt in the west in mostly open country and little cover. We have a draw system and a one animal per season limit, if you happen to get drawn. Sometimes you go years without a deer or elk tag. So when the tag comes in you have to be prepared to take whatever good shot that presents itself. Many times that shot is well over 200 yards. My larger caliber rifles are zeroed at 300 yards. I always want to get as close as possible but sometimes that's just impossible to do in the open. Longer shots is just how it has to be done for many people. We are not just flinging lead down range at game animals. It takes practice, good equipment, favorable conditions, and fully developed ballistics solutions for the distances you want to shoot at. With all that being said, I don't personally know anyone who shoots at game animals at 600-1000 yards. We are capable, the rifles/scopes are capable, but the conditions and other variables, like common sense, and canyons... lol, usually prevent such shots.

Hello all,

The rifle is an older, wood stock Winchester Model 70 in 7mm rem mag. I am looking for factory ammo recommendations capable of MAX 650-700 yard shots on the game I hunt (includes deer, elk, bear, cougar). It would also be enjoyable if I could plink with this gun out to about the 1,000 yard mark as well. Need to test my twist rate, but I'm assuming a 1:9.25.

Please let me know your recommendations!

Thank you.
Try what you have first. Have you had this rifle for a while such that you know what it can do?

Hi my friend take a piece of advise sight your rifle In with a good quality bullet that you have used and hunted with . But take care of a relic and dont abuse it trying to get that kind of yardage. Purchase a long range rifle that has the ability for it weatherby sells them any thing from a 257 up to 338378 cal . If not Winchester sells a good rifle I'd stay away froma short mag ulta mags are available buy what you thin

Mo

You realize you're on a website named "Long Range Hunting" right?

Waht are you looking for, for hunting, paper and steel punching. What distance do you plan to shoot at?

Definitely hunting, most likely mule deer or white tail, out West. I have a .257 Bee for speedy goats, and a .300 Winnie for elk. If I had to guess...I'd like to be able to confidently take shots up to 600 yards...maybe.

Also, I believe it's a 1:9.5" twist.

Thank you.

RhinoHunter --- I was talking more about reloading. With factory ammo only you just have to pick something with the type of bullet your looking for and try it. You may have to try several different ones until you find what your looking for.

Hello all,

The rifle is an older, wood stock Winchester Model 70 in 7mm rem mag. I am looking for factory ammo recommendations capable of MAX 650-700 yard shots on the game I hunt (includes deer, elk, bear, cougar). It would also be enjoyable if I could plink with this gun out to about the 1,000 yard mark as well. Need to test my twist rate, but I'm assuming a 1:9.25.

Please let me know your recommendations!

Thank you.

There is a lot to LR shooting. The challenge increases like a parabolic curve as you increase your range. The range you're looking for isn't all that difficult but will be challenging for an older, wooden stock rifle shooting factory ammo. I'm a shooter and I'm a novice woodworker. Wood is affected by changes in temp and humidity which will most certainly affect how your rifle shoots. So for starters I would recommend a moderately priced composite stock (like a B&C) that is pillar or aluminum bedded. Free float the barrel and bed the action, best done by a pro. If you are handy with that kind of tinkering, there are a lot of good videos on youtube.

A rifle produces harmonics when it is fired and the harmonics are easily affected by a variety of things which affects precision. Consistency is critical in precision shooting. Stress is a big deal in precision shooting. Stress on your barrel and action. That's why it's best to float and bed. If you don't bed correctly you will induce stress on your action. Mounting your bases and scope incorrectly will induce stress on your action. Screwing down your action screws incorrectly and/or with inconsistent torque will induce stress on your action.

I used to hunt with a Tang Safety Ruger M77 7RM. I killed a lot of critters with it, the farthest shot being a 425 yard antelope. It was a total guesstimate and back in those days, that was long range. Now, I would not attempt a shot like that without regular practice at that range and a range finder. Knowing your exact range is critical. the difference between 400 and 450 yards is about 10 inches with your rifle. I was also a new handloader.

There are some good factory loads available that have already been mentioned in this thread.
Black Hills
HSM
Hornady Precison
When you buy ammo make sure you get the same lot when getting more than one box and you will be needing several boxes maybe a couple hundred rounds to start. Different lots will likely have different results in your rifle.

Do what you can to accurize your rifle and practice with it and determine what you and your rifle and load limitations are. I would start at 100 yds for zero and then work out 200 yards at a time, 300, 500, 700 to see what you and your rifle are capable of. There is a lot of good info in these forums and some not so good. Read and research and learn as much as you can.

Last edited:
Hornady Precision ELD-X ammo seems to be pretty good. I have a friend who gets under 0.5" groups @ 100 yes with Nosler Trophy Grade Long Range 150gr ABLR ammo on his 270 WSM.

Federal Premium came out with berger hibrid hunting bullets. Black Hills is another option.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts