Factory ammo blew up my rifle

ButtersDad

Recently had an incident with factory ammo in my 223 wylde chambered gas gun, the round blew up my rifle and destroyed the bolt carrier, upper receiver, and who knows what else in the rifle. I'm in contact with the manufacturer of the ammo currently but have not been set any kind of expectation of compensation for my loss, waiting on a response tomorrow. Anyone had or knows someone who had the same experience and if the ammo company compensated them for the cost of the gun?

*Clarification* ( Seeing if someone has first hand experience having to call an ammo manufacturer)
8864EE4B-4F19-42F5-B71A-218E7C3FCECF.jpeg

637CD73A-4774-4446-B96C-DFAC9810F6FD.jpeg

62B24174-5278-47B2-BBED-355037A6D7E7.jpeg

Last edited:
Hopefully no one was injured.
Did you save every part of the rifle and cartridge?
Do you have the AMMO Box and Lot #
Was it a totally STOCK FACTORY RIFLE
The Ammo company could say that it is an issue with the Rifle
The Rifle Manufacture could say it is the Ammo Manufacture our YOUR fault.
Did the bullet exit the barrel or is it lodged in the barrel?
Good luck at getting compensation.
There may be a BLAME game between the Ammo Manufacture, the Rifle Manufacture, and the operator - YOU.

Luckily no injuries, and yes, have the lot number and a lot more of the same ammo left over. There definitely is a lot of different factors and grey area in a situation like this, will have to wait and see the outcome of my situation. Seeing if someone with personal experience can chime in and give some insight. Regardless I'll be sharing my experience with the outcome.

Have you previously shot this rifle without problems? Since it was a personal build, they're going to blame you and the rifle. Regardless of your competence, they're going to find an out I would assume. I could be wrong, but just be prepared for them to cover themselves by blaming you.

As Coyote Shadow Tracker and Jud96 said...You will have entered a blame game.
Luckily everyone is ok.
No ammo manufacturer will warrant a "home built" weapon.
I'd consider myself lucky and rebuild or replace the damaged components with good quality and have a certified smith check the entire system for function.

Luckily no injuries, and yes, have the lot number and a lot more of the same ammo left over. There definitely is a lot of different factors and grey area in a situation like this, will have to wait and see the outcome of my situation. Seeing if someone with personal experience can chime in and give some insight. Regardless I'll be sharing my experience with the outcome.
Wish you luck and glad that you were not injured.
Please do share the cause of the rifle blowing up and the response from Ammo manufacture.
Never heard of a Rifle or Ammo Manufacture saying it was their fault.
All the rifles that I saw or read about blowing up were caused by incorrect Ammo (wrong cartridge in chamber or incorrect powder used) or an obstruction in the barrel.
Since it is an AR maybe the bolt was not locked all the way when the firing pin hit the primer.
There are a number of Posts on LRH with rifles that blew up so maybe some will see your post and chime in.
I am sure that if the rifle is sent to the Ammo manufacture, they would have investigative resources to find out the cause.

This looks like an out of battery failure. Remove the hand guard and the barrel and see if the locating pin on the barrel extension is sheared or bent and or the corresponding slot in the upper receiver damaged also. Many times this happens when over tightening the barrel to get gas tube holes to line up. And then the bolt does not lock up or locks partially.

I have personally seen and know of a few folks that TRIED to blame an ammo maker for a failure , and have NEVER seen them be successful, unless the ammo maker has already put out a warning about bad ammo that they knew left the factory, like in a recall or other likes!

the game that gets played as stated will be, can you PROVE it was the ammo, and not the gun, or something else?
as without being able to prove so, , they will 99.9% not take the blame, as it will lead to to possible larger legal issues for them if they did so!

SO< unless you can prove that the ammo fired was BAD from the get go
odds are your not going to get any where here, minus , maybe them talking to you in general and seeming to care!

, NOW if you can find some more BAD ammo in the remaining live ammo from them you have, that will be a different story, but unless you can do so
your just going to get time wasted trying to get reimbursement from them on things, unless you can have proof on your side!
as is some more BAD factory loaded rounds!

ON a question out of curiosity , was this imported ammo, or made in USA ammo? steel or brass cased ammo too??

or would you just be willing to share MFG of it here?
no bash to the MFG< just curious,
as I have sen a lot of shady looking imported ammo over the decades, that had known issue's, and many that caused issues with how the firearm worked after using a bunch of it in them!

I'm going to bet my $100 to your one they will not. As far as a lawsuit, it's against my religion, but I don't think any lawyer except Saul would bite on that especially since you assembled it. All they have to defend is their bullet. You however would have to prove it wasn't the assembly of parts or the parts themselves or operator error, etc. I would just say a thankful prayer you we not injured and go on with it.