Factory ammo blew up my rifle

I'm going to bet my $100 to your one they will not. As far as a lawsuit, it's against my religion, but I don't think any lawyer except Saul would bite on that especially since you assembled it. All they have to defend is their bullet. You however would have to prove it wasn't the assembly of parts or the parts themselves or operator error, etc. I would just say a thankful prayer you we not injured and go on with it.
Same here, I don't think of hiring a Lawyer every time something happens, I don't believe in them either, They are at least one notch below a used car salesman!

I appreciate all the input and questions but really just looking for someone with personal insight on a situation like this and their outcome. I don't want this thread to turn into something I'm not asking. At the moment I'll save the rest of the details.

I appreciate all the input and questions but really just looking for someone with personal insight on a situation like this and their outcome. I don't want this thread to turn into something I'm not asking. At the moment I'll save the rest of the details.
You should still pull the barrel and see if the locating pin is damaged like I said earlier, It happens more than many people think, I saw it personally happen to a friend of mine with a factory DPMS LR-308 the damage looked a lot like what you have posted. I repaired the rifle for him buy replacing the upper receiver and a few other parts. I have put many upper receivers together going way back and learned the hard way early on about bending the locating pins. If the gas tube doesn't line up I have a lapping tool I machined to square of the face of the upper to get the gas tube holes lined up.

well as I stated I HAVE personal experience with this, and unless you can PROVE it was there ammo that caused the damages,
your 99.9 % not going to be compensated for things, as it can lead to them having larger issue's for them!

they will be polite as they would want to keep things that way, as NEVER know the cause here
but again , unless you can PROVE it was there ammo, they have no reason to pay you, nor would doing so benefit them , it would worse, possibly show they are accepting fault doing so, which again can lead them into waters they won;t want to go

so, your going to be on your own here IMO< based on past experiences I have had and know of!

You will have to prove that the ammunition is at fault as stated above. To do that the only way to achieve that is to have each round tested that you have tested and that would probably be by a third party acceptable to the manufacturer and you. This would be at your expense. If you send the ammunition back to the manufacturer he will test it but is under no obligation to share the information with you. Unless he recalls the lot you may not know the results. It is highly unlikely that you would receive any compensation without opening up a law suit. You put more than the cost of a new fire at risk doing that.

I have to agree with other posters that this appears to be an out of battery issue. You haven't posted a picture of the case involved or the bolt and carrier but if the barrel is intact and the lugs are not sheered it's a slam fire or out of battery firing. AR's tend to event by biowing out the magazine on case failures.

Bottom line, yes.."IF"... it was a factory rifle and "you" can establish and demonstrate it was the ammo fault scientifically, just because you have a partly used box of ammo or a cash receipt for the ammo that won't be good enough, they are going to make you prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, they won't make the case for you it's all on you. It's just the way they work. Good luck Cheers

Thanks for all the input guys, but trying to stay on topic with finding others with a similar experience and first hand knowledge of talking with the ammo manufacturer. I'll create a different thread another time with the details of the rifle and all the parts once I get it taken apart.

Last edited:
Don't turn the ammo over to the mfg. until they make good on the request for compensation. If the deny responsibility your only option will be to contact an independent accreted commercial lab that can do ammunition pressure testing, talk to them and your attorney then decide if you want to pursue action.

First I would do NOTHING with the rifle to maintain current condition. If you take it apart at all any snowball chance is gone. If you send in the ammo, you have lost another snowball chance. If they balk, I would have an independent reputable ballistic lab tear down the ammo and determine if in spec. You might get them to agree on a lab. Do they have any recalls out there right now? All this only if you are 100% positive its not a build problem. Comes down to how badly you want to push this? Its going to end up rolling in the mud.

We had a deputy's Glock blow up on the range, shooting Speer Lawman aluminum cased ammo. No injuries but it blew the grip apart and bulged the barrel (that's why Glock has an "unsupported chamber"). The box of ammo had several projectiles seated too deeply in the case. This was a .40 S&W so already a high pressure round. This was during the Obama ammo/gun shortage and Q/C was poor everywhere. Speer blamed the shipping company for "dropping" the cases of ammo, causing the bullets to be seated too deeply. Glock replaced the barrel and grip for a nominal fee.

Thanks for that insight, that's the second real world experience answer I've gotten so far. Any more info like this is what I'm after

Well, you're asking a question that has happened to maybe .0876 - 1.7% or less on here. (meaning: that see this thread) I don't think you are really going to get much first hand info?
So to answer your title question. No, they will not compensate you. Pull off the remaining good parts and start over. Just be happy you still have eyes and call it a day.

Last edited:

Recent Posts