Factory 6.5 Creedmore choices

midwesthunter

My father in law is looking to pick one up. Honestly he probably won't shoot it a whole bunch. Will use it for deer in northern MI and antelope in 2018. Past that not sure how much target shooting he will be doing. But he doesn't want a cheap one he wants a good one, but not a custom build. Here are my thoughts but I have never owned or shot any of these models personally:

Savage long range hunter
Bergera B14 hunter
Browning X-bolt stalker long range

Does anyone have any personal experience with any of these models?

My father in law is looking to pick one up. Honestly he probably won't shoot it a whole bunch. Will use it for deer in northern MI and antelope in 2018. Past that not sure how much target shooting he will be doing. But he doesn't want a cheap one he wants a good one, but not a custom build. Here are my thoughts but I have never owned or shot any of these models personally:

Savage long range hunter
Bergera B14 hunter

Ive only worked with 2 svages one in 6.5 CM and a 22-250. Both are easily sub .5 moa rifles. Thats being said ive hand loaded for 2 x-bolts both in 7mm RM with both also .5 or under. The fit and feel of the Browning is definitely much better and the action is WAY better than any savage. If i had to choose, I'd take the Browning based off my experience with both. On the other hand if he wants to do any upgrades to this rifle then steer clear of the Browning as the aftermarket following is terrible. Actually the 22-250 i worked with was mine that i had bought as a donor action and i built a 6.5 CM on it...... I did all the work myself and it cost me around 1300 . Just something to think about

I have a Browning X Bolt Stalker 6.5CM and handload for it, I can get 1/4 inch groups at 100 yards with 120 gr. Sierra Pro Hunter bullets and about the same with 123 gr. Hornady SST bullets. This is going to be my rifle of choice this year for deer hunting in N.E.PA.
I also own a couple of other Browning rifles and they are all very accurate.

Savage long range hunter
Bergera B14 hunter

I like the Savage option but if it's within your budget, you might want to consider the Savage 12 LRP ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/cYOTKrYhvZA?t=18[/ame]

I like the Savage option but if it's within your budget, you might want to consider the Savage 12 LRP ...
My match rifle is a Model 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.
It's insanely accurate and a real pleasure to shoot
It's absolutely not a hunting rifle. Mine is topped with an SS 5-20 x 50 HD
It weighs 15lbs.

My match rifle is a Model 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor.
It's insanely accurate and a real pleasure to shoot
It's absolutely not a hunting rifle. Mine is topped with an SS 5-20 x 50 HD
It weighs 15lbs.

I ran into a couple of guys out in my local gun range a couple of years ago and they too said the same thing.

L:DL! A few of my friends said the same thing about my .270 AI with 30" SS Lilja barrel #6 contour + JP Enterprise Beenie Cooley MB topped with Burris Veracity 4-20x50 and Horus Vision ASLI, it's just shy of 15 lbs hunt ready as seen on the pix.

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

1101141037_zpsac79443d.jpg

It might not be an "ideal" hunting rifle for most but for "my" intended LR purpose it suits me just fine. I boils down to personal preference, intended purpose, and what the end user is willing and able to carry to the hunting grounds. :):cool:gun)

Cheers!

Ed

Have you looked at a Savage 10 Predator 6.5 creedmoor. Mine is very accurate and fills the gap between the light and heavy weight models.

Agreed, the Savage Predator, Weather Warrior, or Long Range Hunter are all great rifles. However, for a rifle that will be shot 400 times at the range each year and once a year at an antelope or deer I'd go with the extra weight and features of the Long Range Hunter, you wont be disappointed!

Some of the new Tikka T3X models are chambered in 6.5 creedmoor. Just got one of their CTRs.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.