Experienced Shooter with questions on First vs. Second FFP.

To each their own I guess. No doubt about it, some FFP reticles give up something on the low mag side. I hold for wind, so in my opinion, I think it's crazy to buy a scope that you can't use for wind holds the full range of magnification.

The often mentioned criticism of FFP graduated reticles as being too small to see at low magnification doesn't bother me. My scope is 4-16x, and if I am shooting something at a distance or of a size that I am using 4x, it is not likely that I need to do any measuring, holding over/under/off for range or wind. If I need to do any of those things, I am probably dialed up to some level that allows me to see the details in the reticle pattern well enough to use them. Having said that, use what you like.

I shoot ffp,I shot a yote at 573 yrd sitting,since on subject.Lots comments low power hard to see. I have Mark 4 very thick to the thinest I own,SS medium to medium, March thick tapper to medium. My last 3 game 6x6 50 yrd,8x11 moose 60 yrd,4x4 muley 50 yrd ,was on trot, all one n done.The Leo TMR open center I really like and thin cross hair at mag,March cross hair heavier than I like but floating dot and open for 1/2 mil with numbered mils is becoming my fav. The dot is 1/2 mil.

The vitals on a coyote are about 4x5". Now the heavier the bullet you hit them with, the more you might get away with... But they are a small target, constantly on the move, or alternately, they are sitting a few yards into the woods observing what is going on where they are almost impossible to see. Typical midwest sheep property has large fields with wooded hedgerows and the coyotes will keep to the hedgerows as much as possible when moving. In winter if it is actively snowing they seem to think they have cover and will actively hunt out in the open. Based on topography, they will tend to move in lower lying areas that they think make them invisible to people on the occupied part of the property, but of course if you snuck onto high ground before dawn without being winded, then you might spot them at the crack of dawn and be able to snipe them. That is the technique that seems to work best for me. In my part of MI one can absolutely forget about using callers since every coyote has been educated.

Man, that is the truth.... I have always wanted to make a LONG shot on a dog but it seems I can never see them out "there" and by the time I see them they are right on me. Usually less than 150 yds. and moving. To be honest, I love to take my AK74 dog hunting. GREAT for the follow-up shot. :D

The vitals on a coyote are about 4x5". Now the heavier the bullet you hit them with, the more you might get away with... But they are a small target, constantly on the move, or alternately, they are sitting a few yards into the woods observing what is going on where they are almost impossible to see. Typical midwest sheep property has large fields with wooded hedgerows and the coyotes will keep to the hedgerows as much as possible when moving. In winter if it is actively snowing they seem to think they have cover and will actively hunt out in the open. Based on topography, they will tend to move in lower lying areas that they think make them invisible to people on the occupied part of the property, but of course if you snuck onto high ground before dawn without being winded, then you might spot them at the crack of dawn and be able to snipe them. That is the technique that seems to work best for me. In my part of MI one can absolutely forget about using callers since every coyote has been educated.

Thanks for your post/info.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.