Expectation management and load development.

hsargent21

I need some help with expectation management and load development for my new 7mm Rem Mag. I just had a custom built rifle put together and now I have started the process of load development. I have the rifle broke in and some preliminary velocity work done. I'm starting with Berger 168 gr VLD's with H1000 as my powder. I have worked my way up to 72 grains with no signs of pressure and an average velocity of 2925. My goal for this rifle is to be accurate enough to kill a deer/elk at 800 yds. So help me with my expectations. When it comes to accuracy how good is good enough? My current thinking is to get it to a half inch or less then stop. Is that good enough or should I push for more? Should I expect that much out of my rifle? I don't want to just keep pushing for more if its not needed. Also, what is the max charge that you are using for H1000 and 168gr VLD's? I do want to get as much velocity as feasible. Is 3100 to much to ask for?
Here are the specifics on my rifle:
Stiller Predator action, Left hand Long action
Kreiger 1 in 9 26 in long barrel…Rem Varmint Contour
McMillian A-3 Sporter Stock
Jewel Trigger
Leupold 6.5-20

I have a friend who is a successful competition shooter who is always giving me grief for worrying about fractions at 100 on my hunting rifle. His advice to shoot moa sized targets at long range has simplified my thinking. 1/2" at 100 is only 4" at 800- you're still well inside the vitals with it.
If you ask me, for hunting, the most important thing is to see where the cold bore hits are at 800, then you can worry about the groups.
Now, if this is also a competition gun, then you gotta do some more obsessing! ;)
That setup looks like it should be capable of some pretty tight groups.

I need some help with expectation management and load development for my new 7mm Rem Mag. I just had a custom built rifle put together and now I have started the process of load development. I have the rifle broke in and some preliminary velocity work done. I'm starting with Berger 168 gr VLD's with H1000 as my powder. I have worked my way up to 72 grains with no signs of pressure and an average velocity of 2925. My goal for this rifle is to be accurate enough to kill a deer/elk at 800 yds. So help me with my expectations. When it comes to accuracy how good is good enough? My current thinking is to get it to a half inch or less then stop. Is that good enough or should I push for more? Should I expect that much out of my rifle? I don't want to just keep pushing for more if its not needed. Also, what is the max charge that you are using for H1000 and 168gr VLD's? I do want to get as much velocity as feasible. Is 3100 to much to ask for?
Here are the specifics on my rifle:
Stiller Predator action, Left hand Long action
Kreiger 1 in 9 26 in long barrel…Rem Varmint Contour
McMillian A-3 Sporter Stock
Jewel Trigger
Leupold 6.5-20

Sounds like a nice rig. You can get close to 3100 with it, but you probably won't get there with a 26" barrel and H1000. You should be around 3025-3050 with around 71.0 to 72.0 grains of H1000 once your barrel has a few rounds through it. Retumbo will get you close to 3100 with a 168.

My H1000 load in a 28" Pac Nor is 70.7 grains of H1000 at 3040 fps with a 168 kissing the lands primed with a CCI 250.

If 'all' you can get out of the rifle is .5moa that's sufficient accuracy to hunt with. The thing to obsess about is your ES (extreme spread). You should be looking for an ES of 15fps or less.

If 'all' you can get out of the rifle is .5moa that's sufficient accuracy to hunt with. The thing to obsess about is your ES (extreme spread). You should be looking for an ES of 15fps or less.

+1

Cold bore hits are paramount in this sport. John Burns said he'd hunt with a 1 MOA rifle any day as long as it hits where he wants, EVERY TIME!

Alan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.