EXO K3 VS Kifaru Duplex Tactical

Left Hand Dave

Ok I need some feedback on two frames. I need a new pack and have narrowed it down to either the EXO K3 frame or the Kifaru Duplex Tactical. I am not as concerned about the pack as I am the frame. I will probably use the frame to pack out quarters more often than the frame and pack.

Question 1: has anyone hear used the K3 with the crib attachment to cary 90 lbs or more? If you have how did it do with heavy loads?

Question 2: has anyone with the Kifaru Duplex tactical used it for lighter loads say around 50 lbs? I have heard it can be like having a board strapped to your back but I don't know what they are comparing it to. Is it stiffer than an external frame?

I am 5-11" and 160-165 lbs without winter COVID fat. I currently use an older Cabela's light weight frame pack with the cloth shelf. The issues I have are I have no butt to hold the pack up so loads over 60 lbs slide down my hips. I use up to 110 lbs to train with and would like a better frame. I'm also not getting any younger so I think it's time to bite the bullet and get a nice pack system.

I haven't quite pushed your 95 lbs with the Exo but very happy with it. Heaviest load was two cow shoulders along with my normal 30 lb day pack. Guessing about 80 lbs. Load rides high and tight, easy to maneuver cross country.

When I was searching I had it narrowed down to Kifaru or Stone Glacier. I picked Kifaru because it came in camo and offered a lot of different options for bags, accessories, and lids.

I'm not exactly sure why you don't want to use a bag with your frame? I use my Kifaru Duplex with a bag all the time for scouting plus hunting. When I'm scouting I merely cinch the bag down tight with spotting scope, tripod, camera gear, raingear (when needed), etc. When I have less than 25 lbs on my back I hardly notice I have anything on my back. I've put the same things in a small daypack without a frame and had a sore back by the end of the first day. Believe me, its super nice having a comfortable padded Kifaru frame on your back all day!

It's also nice having a bag plus a guide lid on the frame so I can get to all the things I use while scouting and hunting quickly and quietly. When I'm hunting I'm prepared to haul 100+ lb loads. I can cinch meat and antlers down in the bag and pack out a hefty first load. The new modern materials used in bags is so light and durable that I really so no reason why not to hook it to your frame? I also prefer the biggest bag available (6,500 cu in or larger).

jimss,
I didn't explain very well. It's not that I don't want to use the bag. At this time most of my hunts are out for the day and back to camp at night. The hunts are not back country hunts. They are archery/bear hunts where I strap my Catquiver and some times a tree stand to the frame, go out for the day and back at night. When I get something then I have the frame to pack out the meat, hide and head/antlers with. Pack out is generally less than two miles. I also use the frame to help pack out when my buddies get something. This to me is just as big a part of the hunt as me hunting. So at this time the pack frame is a little more important than the bag setup. I do however want to be able to have the option to use the pack and frame in the future for hunting, hiking and camping. This is a big purchase for me so I want to make sure I have all my bases covered and not ignore the importance of the bag.
I am glad to see you didn't find the Kifaru uncomfortable when loaded light.

I haven't quite pushed your 95 lbs with the Exo but very happy with it. Heaviest load was two cow shoulders along with my normal 30 lb day pack. Guessing about 80 lbs. Load rides high and tight, easy to maneuver cross country.
This is good to know. I think your load of two front cow shoulders an a 30 lb pack was probably over 80 lbs too but that depends on if the meat was boned and if side and neck meat was included with the shoulder.

LH Dave,
Sounds good! As far as the Kifaru frame it is the most comfortable frame I have ever owned. If you do a search you'll likely find that just about everyone that uses a Kifaru frame raves about the comfort of the belt, shoulder straps, etc. Kifaru makes a couple different frames. One is stiffer than the other. I like the stiffer one because I often haul 60+ lb loads. I'm sure you can attach different accessories to just the frame as desired.

My Exo pack is the 1800 with a top, belt pouch, and rifle sling. The bag releases from the top of the frame and the bottom of thebag expands from the frame so that the meat load can be strapped to the frame. Then the bag attached back to the top of the frame and strapped tightly around the meat load. No meat inside the bag with clothing and gear.

My cow pack out was bone in shoulders peeled from the ribcage. Guessing 30lb each. I should weigh my packs next season. An old man should know these things. That way I can brag about it when my kids start to get older and start noticing pack weight. Lol

Anyway, this pack is more comfortable than my designated meat pack that is a frame with a shelf.

Maine's,
Do you have any issues with your EXO slipping off your hips with heavy loads and have you with any other pack? My Cabela's frame pack tends to slide down and I haven't figured out if it is the design of the pack or my design.

I have a k2 with a k3 belt on it and it's simply a great set up. Hauled out a bone in hind quarter, neck meat, and some other scrap chunks plus the head and it's a breeze with this pack. Nothing inside the pack everything in the meat shelf and it's solid as a rock. I'll most likely stick with EXO for the foreseeable future. I do use the Kifaru gun bearer with it and love it.

I have a 26" duplex tactical and while it is stiff I don't think it's so stiff it's uncomfortable. I haven't loaded it over 50 pounds yet but to answer your question about loads under 50 I think it feels fine and really wouldn't consider it any issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.