Ewe Tag

the blur

Just curious, how many of you serious Sheep hunters would even put in for a Ewe tag ?

I see these draws for CO Ewe's, with 1 tag allocation for non-residents.

I'm not a "serious sheep hunter", but I actually drew a ewe tag yesterday. I looked at my draw odds and figured I'd rather hunt girl sheep every 4-8 yrs rather than maybe someday hunt a ram. I'm a resident and my odds were less than 1% with several weighted points for a ram. I'm excited to have a sheep tag in my pocket and looking forward to figuring them out...even if its a ewe.

I wouldn't pay nonresident tag prices to hunt a ewe...I'd save that money and buy raffle tickets, save up for a guided hunt or invest it elsewhere.

I put in for them, but if I draw one, I burn it. With the limited number of sheep tags we have in the US, we should be focused on transferring sheep to other areas and growing our population. Just like mule deer, I don't believe we shoot be shooting any does or ewes. Just my opinion but to each their own.

Ewe tags are pretty controversial and for good reason. I personally wouldn't and don't put in for them but different strokes for different folks. I do wish guys would be very selective when they harvest a ewe and not take prime age breeding females.

Last edited:
I can't imagine anyone burning a $2,000 tag. The laws state 5" horns minimum for Ewe's. So they only want mature Ewe's taken.

There isn't anything mature about a 5" ewe, that's basically protecting lambs. If you look thru the harvest stats you will find 7"+ ewes with one growth ring. Lots of Ewes with a lifetime of reproduction in front of them get killed every year.

Its legal and I try not to judge what other people want to hunt, it just makes me a little sad inside with the amount of time, money and effort that goes into sheep conservation when you read the stats and see young and prime breeding age females being taken out of the herd.

Sure, winter or disease could get them also, and being in somebody's freezer is much better then that alternative but there is also the chance that Ewe could have put 6 more sheep on the mountain in her life.

In the area I'll be hunting the population has been stable and growing for many years but, I also understand that's not the case everywhere. I put trust the local wildlife biologist to determine what the carrying capacity is and how to manage the resource locally. Lots of factors go into tag allocation and sometimes large groups of sheep can bring with it other problems like disease. I'd have no problem if the biologist dropped tag numbers. If tags are allocated, then there is probably a good reason.

I agree with Shooter264, to each their own. I've got no problems with somebody that chooses not to hunt ewes.

Had a ewe tag in Montana several years ago and it was an awesome experience! Hoping to do it again in several years. May be unpopular opinion, but in my book it's sheep hunting and likely the only way I'll get to experience it.