Estimating Range with a GPS??

With a handheld such as Etrex etc the it can't be done at the time of the shot.

Waypoints of where the shot will be made to may be stored. The position indicator will then show the distance from your location to the waypoint within maybe 20 or 30 yards.

With a good submeter GPS ($1500) connected to a laptop ($700) w/a functional serial to USB adapter ($30 - A PIA BTW), a decent GIS ($1500)and an inverter for the laptop ($50)with all of this connected to you vehicle battery and a decent backround image of the area (Free from USGS) you range as far as you wish to within about 2 yards or so.

Short answer: No

I do not know of any way to "range" an animal or location with a GPS.

You can "measure" range with a GPS but it requires that you carry the device to both spots.

As far as sitting on some rock and looking off in the distance and trying to estimate the range to a place that you have not been, I know of no way to do that with a GPS that would not be the same as a map and compass technique. And a map and compass technique is not accurate enough for rifle shooting.

Now then if you are out scouting an find a good meadow that some deer might wander into. Then you can take the GPS unit around and mark a lot of Waypoints in the meadow. Then you would go to your shooting spot and run the distance from your shooting spot to each way point and record the ranges and make you a little drawing and label each spot and distance on the drawing. Then when the deer comes out you look and see what waypoint it is closest to and look on your little drawing and find that waypoint object and you can get pretty close to the exact range. Dial up your scope and shoot.

Roy, you forgot the 30 or so of 100 foot electrical extension cords at a price of $80 each. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We used a Garmin one evening to retrieve a deer. Got into a group of deer right at the last shooting light. By the time we picked up the first four it was dark. We knew where we fired from and the distance (5-600 yards, forgot now), went to the waypoint at the firing position, went out the distance of the shot, found the deer in five minutes. Would have been nasty without that GPS. Not exactly what you asked but might be of interest as far as using a GPS for long range hunting.

With a GPS that has the mapping programs in it, you can get an estimation, but it will not be precise. My GPS has the maps and I have used it to get an approximate range of my intended target. I've been able to make hits using this method, but no where near the consistancy of using a LRF or even Mil-dots. Another issue that I found last year was that not all the maps match up across brand lines of GPS's.

You can get to within a few feet if you know what the coordinates of your target is.

You could not estimate range as people have mentioned with just a GPS.

If your GPS had a subscription for radio (ground) correction and you had a total station (laser survey instrument) you could get sub-meter accuracy. We use this combo to survey and map abandoned mines for the US Forest Service. First problem is mountains can sometimes obscure radio correction frequency.

Second more important problem as mentioned above....Much cheaper to just use laser range finder.

I have used my Magellan to measure target distances many times while groundhog hunting. While out locating prime areas with active holes I just set waypoints at the cluster of holes.

Next day, week or month when walking and spotting hogs I just set a "go-to" to any given waypoint and get the range.

However, I will admit that the laser rangfinders are 1,000 times easier and faster for ranging out to 750yds or so.

Also, error with a gps is anywhere from 1 foot to 30 feet depending on the unit and if you are receiving the waas signal. Then you need to keep all your waypoints straight or you could really be off! Also, you must have prescouted which maybe works for varmints, but not so great for big game. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Ian M,
Simplicity in action. Well done. I never thought of using it like that. It will definately help in the future, the Lord willing. I have three GPS and when hunting at least there is always one with me. Thanks!

IAN M

Well its never to late to learn a neat trick and your
use of a GPS to find a deer intrigued me.

So I set up a series of test to see how well it would
work.

First test= A frend took a tennis ball and walked accross
an open field an stopped at about 650 yrds an stood there
long enough for me to range him and get a compass heading
on him and droped the ball.( the idea was not to be able
to see the target.

Next I took my coordinates and added 632yrds and compass
headingto the GPS and took off walking.

With out looking for the ball I walked untill I got to the
mark and to my supprise I was within 8 feet of the tennis
ball. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Test #2 = I ranged and took compass heading's on trees and
bushes (like hunting condition's) put these numbers in the
GPS and took off, (worked every time) Worst error was about
45 feet.

So if your hunting with a spotter he can stay and direct
you to the kill. But if you are alone this could save your hunt.

But as far as using the GPS to range the target I trust
the range finder more so for now I will stick with it.

Great idea THANK's
J E CUSTOM

Estimating range with a GPS

I've wondered about this issue while I've been out hunting with my Garmin 60CSx, since I've felt the need and also have a background in GIS. Sometimes I could do a decent job because I was looking at a craggy peak or other specific landmark. As for meadows, I eventually added outlines of them to custom topo maps I created for my Garmin.

I've been able to come remarkably close estimating range just by making it a practice to look at known objects from a known distance. I know it sounds silly, but I have a 67' Bug parked behind our garage and by measuring off 300 yards down the alley in 100 yard increments and repeatedly looking at it from those distances when out walking the dog, I trained myself to know what something 4-5 feet across looks like at each distance. I'll probably by a rangefinder someday but that just means more weight and one more device to keep track of and not break. And time to get a shot off is sometimes awfully short.

Jon

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.