Establishing Bullet Seating Depth

Here's how I measure COAL: measure to the bolt face(with bolt closed) with my cleaning rod. Remove the bolt. Then I put the bullet I want to use in the barrel and run it to the lands with a new #2 pencil. Then I measure to the tip of the bullet with my cleaning rod. Super easy and very high tech. Lol

Here's how I measure COAL: measure to the bolt face(with bolt closed) with my cleaning rod. Remove the bolt. Then I put the bullet I want to use in the barrel and run it to the lands with a new #2 pencil. Then I measure to the tip of the bullet with my cleaning rod. Super easy and very high tech. Lol

That is how I do it, as well. Holy Toledo do people over complicate this process! Special tools are not needed for this. Keeping a record of these measurements, for each bullet in each rifle, is also a good idea.

benchracer and N2

My method with a split neck case is repeatable to within 0,002" which you need if you are going to seat very close to the lands. How do you measure to that accuracy by measuring to a spot on a cleaning rod?

benchracer and N2

My method with a split neck case is repeatable to within 0,002" which you need if you are going to seat very close to the lands. How do you measure to that accuracy by measuring to a spot on a cleaning rod?

Flat faced jag, painter's tape, razor blade, dial calipers...

benchracer and N2

It's pretty easy, actually.

I found that using the case/bullet method was aggravating and inconsistent for me.

benchracer

I get it. Not bad. Thanks for the explanation. The trick to the case/bullet method is to have the right neck tension (and to make sure you have no burrs from cutting the case). And as I said you can also use it to setup your press. Since I already have all the tooling for everything I load I'll stay with it but it is always good to have a backup method.

N2, benchracer
I have also used this in the past, right down to the tape and razor. The problem I have run into is the inconsistency in bullets from tip to ogive. Some bullets vary up to .006". If I'm looking for overall for magazine fit, or for quick reference that is an easy solution. But if I'm looking for lands engagement this is not what I use.

benchracer

I get it. Not bad. Thanks for the explanation. The trick to the case/bullet method is to have the right neck tension (and to make sure you have no burrs from cutting the case). And as I said you can also use it to setup your press. Since I already have all the tooling for everything I load I'll stay with it but it is always good to have a backup method.

You method is not overly complicated, nor does it require special tools (you make your own). It seems a lot of people think they have to have something like the Hornady OAL gauge and a box full of special cases to do this.

N2, benchracer
I have also used this in the past, right down to the tape and razor. The problem I have run into is the inconsistency in bullets from tip to ogive. Some bullets vary up to .006". If I'm looking for overall for magazine fit, or for quick reference that is an easy solution. But if I'm looking for lands engagement this is not what I use.

The least consistent bullet tips are typically BTHP's. Plastic tipped bullets are much better in that regard. I haven't found the ogives to be any more consistent, despite claims to the contrary. If I am trying to seat bullets for consistent OAL, I have to back the seater off by .010 between bullets and sneak up on the desired OAL.

Unless you are sorting all of your bullets by ogive length and choosing one with a length squarely on the mean to take your measurements, there is no way the ogive method will be any more accurate. Even if it is more accurate by .001 or .002, that is something that is relevant to benchrest, not field shooting.

Last edited:
I agree the tipped bullets are far more consistent.
When I start with a new bullet I use maybe 10 to get an average base to tip and base to ogive and record this info.
When I'm loading I set my seater based on the B to O length, and check length of each round loaded I measure B to O. I have just found this to be more consistent. Within a couple thousands vs 4-6 thousands.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.