Encore Pro Hunter XT Vs Rem 700 Muzzleloader

JO201

I will start by saying that I am new to hunting and even newer to muzzle loaders. I used a muzzle loader for the first time this past hunting season and I am now looking into buying one before the next season.

With my limited knowledge, the one thing I know I want is a muzzle loader that gives me more range. I started reading and stumbled on the Rem 700. I also saw the Pro Hunter XT and some of the literature online that it claims that it has an extended range in part due to the 28" barrel. I started leaning to the TC but then I read an article about changing the barrel on the TC Pro Hunters and changing hinge pins and working the trigger and then I started to doubt my initial inclination towards the Pro Hunter.

I figured that this would be a great place to tap into the experience of some of the members that could help me make a decision or if I am thinking about it the wrong way, give me some guidance on what my thought process should be.

I appreciate the feedback.

Jimmy

The T/C Pro Hunter is an excellent rifle, had many of them. One can't really go wrong with a Pro Hunter. Most of the things you read about the Encore platform rifles or, at least the most common issue, is about the hinge pin. For most shooters it doesn't matter and most would never know the difference. However if you're talking getting the absolute best from the rifle, then a hinge pin replacement may be necessary. Hinge pins are easily accessible and are pretty cheap to replace. Last I knew a 1x and 2x was about $16 or so. Most all other modifications owners make are for personal preference, with trigger pull being next. However all the modifications that are made by some shooters looking for absolute accuracy from Pro Hunters, costs in the neighborhood of around $35 plus shipping. The modifications some make, actually make it feel and shoot like a completely different rifle than when removed from the box.

The Remington 700 Ultimate is a completely different rifle than most are used to. It has also had some initial bad initial reviews. A few bad barrels were released when the rifle first hit the market, which didn't help. Some owners couldn't get the rifles to group to their satisfaction, while others couldn't get used to the difference between it and a mass produced production rifle. Some didn't like the fact that it had a breech plug that although could be removed, Remington recommended that it not. People think that's a completely bad thing, while those same people forget that breech plugs before Knight came out, were almost never removed.
If an owner took their time, worked up loads, including different bullet/sabot combinations, there's no reason the RU can't be a 300+yd MOA rifle. I do know of at least one owner, who is shooting less than MOA at 400 and beyond with his RU but, he worked hard, uses different bullets than recommended.
I just talked to a sports shop owner who sold two RU rifles this last year. One new owner didn't like it and sold it. The other took his time and was very satisfied with the RU.

If you take a look at the RU rifle, the ignition system by UF Inc. is a proven system. Remington actually purchased the rights from UF Inc. for the breech plug. The action is the Remington 700 action, also a well proven part. That leaves the barrel. I would hope Remington has worked out any barrel issues from the past. I'd like to have one to play with for about a month myself.

If you want a truly long range accurate muzzleloader, one that has proven itself over and over, both on targets and on big game, consider the Ultimate Firearms Inc. BP Xpress. They are more accurate at long range than most owners can shoot them and, more accurate than most can shoot a CF rifle. Yes, they are more expensive than a Pro Hunter or the RU. But, you're getting a proven long range custom built muzzleloader with a match grade barrel. Not a production barrel. The cost is actually right in line with any custom built rifle.

Muzzleloader - Long Range Muzzleloader - Custom Muzzleloader: Ultimate Firearms

Good luck with your decision.

Sir

Thank you for your reply, it was very informative and it provided me the information I was looking for.

Vr
Jimmy

If smokeless is legal in your state I would highly suggest you go that route. Take a look at Doug's Message Board (forum) and do some reading.

I have a smokeless and work on them often. Check out Arrowhead Sporting Goods for some prices on items. Arrowhead Sporting Goods LLC

I have shot many 4-5" groups out to 400-500 yards plus. Pushing a 335 gr. bullet at 2640 fps and a 270 gr. at 3015. These guns are pretty amazing in what they will do.

pm me if you want any more information on getting into a smokeless muzzy.

I will back up what IAHNTR says and you will not have the cleaning after each shot. I have 2 smoke less guns one is a Savage 10ML-ll 50cal and a custom that IAHNTR helped me with it is a 45cal I shoot sabot less. Both guns are zeroed in at 200yds and are great deer killers. One well placed shot and they will drop right there. They are well worth looking at before you buy a muzzle loader.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.