Pro hunter muzzleloader Loads

NRF

Im hearing conflicting things about the conversion breech plug switching from 209 to large rifle primer, what are the latest facts?

I have an antelope hunt in September so I'm wanting to re think my current load which is 110 grains loose triple7 , 200 Gr dead center bullets with Winchester 209 primer. I'm currently getting 1 - 1.5 groups at 100 yards which I'm am not happy with.
I'm not sure if it's a primer powder combination or my scope is moving on me, I'll get 3 bullets touching then a flier.

When doing load testing I clean every 2 shots with water only and dry patches to follow.

What do you guys recommend I start with first?
Thanks NF

Im hearing conflicting things about the conversion breech plug switching from 209 to large rifle primer, what are the latest facts?
I have an antelope hunt in September so I'm wanting to re think my current load which is 110 grains loose triple7 , 200 Gr dead center bullets with Winchester 209 primer. I'm currently getting 1 - 1.5 groups at 100 yards which I'm am not happy with.
I'm not sure if it's a primer powder combination or my scope is moving on me, I'll get 3 bullets touching then a flier.
When doing load testing I clean every 2 shots with water only and dry patches to follow.
What do you guys recommend I start with first?
Thanks NF

With T7 you should be swabbing between EVERY SHOT. Instead of water, use Butch's Black Powder Bore Shine, ever so SLIGHTLY damp, both sides.

If possible for your hunting area, switch from T7 to BH209. Encore platform rifles all love 110grs VOLUME of BH209 and a Barnes 290gr T-EZ bullet. I've shot many .5MOA groups at 200yds with that combo from both Encore and Pro Hunter rifles.
Very good to top of the line scopes make a huge difference BTW. ;)

Thanks for the feedback ill try the bore shine, BH209, and the Barnes combination. I think I'll switch primers as well.
I take the *** Nikon BDC off and throw one of my night forces on and see how it goes, I hope to give a report in a couple weeks

I have a stainless 26" 50 cal. barrel Encore (not Pro Hunter) and I have a load that is amazingly accurate!!! It is running 1920 FPS, shoots under an inch at 100 yds. and I'm very comfortable using it out to 175 yds. on med./med. lrg. game.

80 gr. BH209 (by weight)
.430" 300 gr. Hornady XTP
Harvester Crushed Rib Sabot (green)
CCI 209M primer

The first bullet was recovered from under the hide of the off should from a 265lb. boar hog shot at 110 yds. Going through hide, one sholder, both sheilds (1 5/8" thick each) and then coming to rest under the offside hide in a big knot.

The second bullet was recovered from a 145lb. buck shot head on in the sternum. At 135 yds. breaking two ribs connecting to the sternum, going through the vital and then coming to rest on the pelvis.

I have shot many critters with this load without failure. The Hornady XTP's from certain folks get a bad rap such as jacket/core separation, I feel if you use a heavy enough bullet like the 300 gr. XTP, at a modest velocity you will not have those issues. Just my $.02. Good luck on your hunt.

ADDED NOTE; I didn't mention that almost all broadside/behind the shoulder shots at deer and average sized hogs (without heavy shields) have been total pass-through shots at ranges out to 150 yards with the .44 cal XTP.

bullet1.jpg
Bullet2.jpg
bullet3.jpg

Last edited:
I did not mention in my previous post that I DO NOT swab or clean my barrel but every 20 shots with the BH209, it just doesn't need it. Any type of water or water based cleaners should not be used, clean it like a centerfire rifle. When you do, like at a range session, first a dry patch and then just a nylon brush and a couple dry patches after will due. For a thorough cleaning I use a bore foam and let it soak for 20 minutes, then a nylon brush with solvent followed by dry patches. If needed I will push soaked patches then dry patches until clean. I will put a lite coat of oil with a patch after a good cleaning with solvents, especially after hunting season or if the rifle is going to sit for a while. Make sure to shoot a fouling shot before your next range session or going afield.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.