Encore 209x50 bullets

I weigh all of my BH loads and put them into small vials for use at the range. However, there seems to be a group of BH shooters who feel that a load that is carefully measured by volume will produce more consistent results.

I normally use 120gr Volume of BH behind a 250gr or 290gr TMZ bullet. Both have produced 1 moa (@ 200yds-250yds, & occasionally 300yds) when fired from my T/C Encore 209x50.

My bore is rough and swabbing between shots is mandatory. Without swabbing, a third round is nearly impossible to seat on the powder.
I thought it best to weigh each load, I thought you wouldn't have to swab with bh, not as much anyway. I've got a lot to learn lol

I had great range accuracy with 2 white hots and Federal B.O.R. LOCK all copper 270 grain but nothing presented a shot during our short ML only season.
The plan for this fall is loading a few sabot bullets with BH209 and see what rises to the top.

I have used a Hornady sabot with a Sierra 240 JHC (44 cal) in front of 110 Gr. BH 209 for about 10 years now. Never had a white tail go out of sight. Most of the time drop in their tracks. Shoots around an 1 1/2 " 5 shot group @ 100 yards.

Federal 209A primer, 110gr by volume of BH209, and a 300gr Parker Ballistic Extreme has shot extremely well in every TC in-line that I've been around. Velocity should be around 1900-1950fps. Combine great accuracy and velocity with a .012 jacket and you'll have a lethal 250yd muzzy. Start with a clean bore. No swabbing between shots.
Weighing charges isn't a bad idea. I dumped 5 volumetric charges, one at a time, onto my balance beam to get an average and ran with that. It may be a little OCD, but I did this each time I opened a new jug of powder to make sure everything was on the up and up.

Last edited:
With our T/C Triumphs, we like to use the 250 grain Shockwave with the Harvester crush ribbed sabot and pushed by BH209. I weigh all my charges and have them in plastic vials ready for use. We found some primers ignited Blackhorn 209 better than other makes of primers.the

Years ago,I was sick of not getting pass through with muzzleloader bullets. I found a company called muzzleload magnum products in Arkansas that makes a sabot to allow you to shoot .458" dia rifle bullets in my 50 cal muzzleloader. (45-70 size bullets that are made for higher velocities) with those sabots, I use barnes .458 300 grn tsx bullets and couldn't be happier.

I'm looking at the 25acp conversion Breech plug kit, it seems like the cats meow, with less fouling
Been there and done that. Wasn't a fan. If you're going to do that, you may as well go smokeless. Smokeless barrels and plugs are readily available for your Encore. Shoot a sabotless .45 and eliminate all fouling worries. If your pockets allow it, have build a bolt gun for more distance. I'm currently shooting a rebarreled 700 SA .45. 300gr .452 bullet at 2775fps. That combo is .5 MOA out to 500yds with plenty of energy and velocity to spare.

Last edited:
Been there and done that. Wasn't a fan. If you're going to do that, you may as well go smokeless. Smokeless barrels and plugs are readily available for your Encore. Shoot a sabotless .45 and eliminate all fouling worries. If your pockets allow it, have build a bolt gun for more distance. I'm currently shooting a rebarreled 700 SA .45. 300gr .452 bullet at 2775fps. That combo is .5 MOA out to 500yds with plenty of energy and velocity to spare.
Wow, that's awesome. 200yds will be my furthest shot.