Encore 209x50 bullets

I have experienced good accuracy with the TC Shockwave, but very erratic/poor performance on whitetail deer. I will never use them again. Switched back to Barnes solid copper bullets, and great terminal results on whitetails.

I'm looking at the 25acp conversion Breech plug kit, it seems like the cats meow, with less fouling
Having owned Encore platform rifles since they first came out, that conversion is the VERY LAST thing I'd do, including the variflame.
Want it right, go with an Arrowhead replacement barrel and be done with it.

Having owned Encore platform rifles since they first came out, that conversion is the VERY LAST thing I'd do, including the variflame.
We only have one week of ml season and I didn't want to send much money , what if I stayed with the 209 Breech plug ? Will it still work with bl209

Same thing I thought when I got suckered into it with my Omega. I shoot smokeless now.

We only have one week of ml season and I didn't want to send much money , what if I stayed with the 209 Breech plug ? Will it still work with bl209
Get some 209A primers, pick a 300gr bullet, load 100-110gr of BH 209 by volume and go hunt. You're trying to split hairs and there's not a reason to if your max range is 200yds!

Luke is great to work with. He built my bolt gun.

I've owned the encore since they first came out as well. Done most of the mods(hinge pin, springs, triggers job, etc). The guns can shoot and shoot very well with a little work and load development.
What I can't figure out is your advice (which largely I agree with for extreme accuracy) for the typical hunter which can/will kill anything they want with 2 MOA accuracy. Most people aren't going to spend $Ks on a ML set up - including the OP. The 200 yard max distance and short season doesn't justify the investment.
The variflame system is a decent upgrade - enough so that the CVA paramount uses it. Is it equal to Luke's system.... no.
I have zero doubt that your knowledge/rig is spot on. Is your advice to buy a $1300+ barrel logical given the OPs circumstance?

Yes, absolutely your breech plug will work with BH209.
IF.... you can find them or have them, CCI209M or Federal 209A primers work the best in all different types of weather. WIN209 will work generally. Dedicated muzzleloader primers........ STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

I've owned the encore since they first came out as well. Done most of the mods(hinge pin, springs, triggers job, etc). The guns can shoot and shoot very well with a little work and load development.
What I can't figure out is your advice (which largely I agree with for extreme accuracy) for the typical hunter which can/will kill anything they want with 2 MOA accuracy. Most people aren't going to spend $Ks on a ML set up - including the OP. The 200 yard max distance and short season doesn't justify the investment.
The variflame system is a decent upgrade - enough so that the CVA paramount uses it. Is it equal to Luke's system.... no.
I have zero doubt that your knowledge/rig is spot on. Is your advice to buy a $1300+ barrel logical given the OPs circumstance?
I agree, the investment for such a short season is completely unnecessary. That's why he should remain with the OEM system in his Encore.

CVA uses the variflame system because they didn't know any better and got a hell of a deal. CVA had nothing but trouble with that system and had to send out multiple spring kits for that bolt. They still are sending out spring kits. So many owners got p'd off over it they went to another Arrowhead system. Its been a known leaking system unless its perfect, which few are. I would never recommend it.
As for a $1300 system........ most owners of the system not only use it for their dedicated muzzleloader season, no matter how long it may be, but also use the system during the general seasons if allowed. Once they find out how accurate the barrel system is, why shoot a CF? However, if the OP wants to do it right the first time and not have to do it over, get the barrel from Luke. If he wants to save a lot of money, use his current system and make a few slight changes.

So I've been on BH209 since it came out and haven't used another since.
my load is 120 (volume) or if I have time I weigh it. Barnes 250tmz win209 primer but want to switch to the mag rifle primer system and see how that works.
the key thing for mine is it likes the snug fit and if it's loose or easy to load then accuracy goes away. When I get new pack of bullets I take all the yellow no good sabots and throw them away and I use the yellow crush rib sabots from harvester. Tightened my groups right up and usually stay within MOA.

Yes, absolutely your breech plug will work with BH209.
IF.... you can find them or have them, CCI209M or Federal 209A primers work the best in all different types of weather. WIN209 will work generally. Dedicated muzzleloader primers........ STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

I agree, the investment for such a short season is completely unnecessary. That's why he should remain with the OEM system in his Encore.

CVA uses the variflame system because they didn't know any better and got a hell of a deal. CVA had nothing but trouble with that system and had to send out multiple spring kits for that bolt. They still are sending out spring kits. So many owners got p'd off over it they went to another Arrowhead system. Its been a known leaking system unless its perfect, which few are. I would never recommend it.
As for a $1300 system........ most owners of the system not only use it for their dedicated muzzleloader season, no matter how long it may be, but also use the system during the general seasons if allowed. Once they find out how accurate the barrel system is, why shoot a CF? However, if the OP wants to do it right the first time and not have to do it over, get the barrel from Luke. If he wants to save a lot of money, use his current system and make a few slight changes.
Most times those dedicated ML primers won't ignight BH209. I tried triple7 primers years ago and had non-fire with so many I gave the guy next to me a whole pack of them with just the several I tried missing. They're junk.

Recent Posts