ELR OTC DIY elk location??

chw

I would like to hear your opinions and ideas on ELR OTC DIY elk hunt. I have no objections on the state any location will work for me. I am also not overly concerned with the quality of game more so on the quantity and opportunity to see game at any range . Im looking for ease of access and terrain that allows for long range shooting preferably open relatively flat not overly mountainous. I'm building a .375 Snipetac and would like to take shots out to and past 1,500 yards or as close as possible if the opportunity presents itself. Please let me know what you think- state,area, zone,unit numbers. Thanks for your help!

There is no location in the State of Idaho that fits your intensions.

Having said that, do a Google "Rullon Jones" who is located in Firth Idaho. He can meet your needs.

Arizona has some areas where elk can be hunted with OTC tags. These tags are for areas where AZ Game & Fish does not want elk herds (for various reasons). Hunting elk in these areas typically provides one of two hunts: 1) a hit or miss opportunity as elk herds are transitioning through the area, but long shots would be the norm; and 2) areas containing permanent elk herds, but in dense cover. A long shot could be possible if you caught an elk on the edge of that cover.

Check out page 27 of AZ regs for 2016:

https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/files/regs/elkregs.pdf

These are tough, marginal hunts, but I know several guys that have gone there and been successful. These hunts are not part of the draw, so you won't burn any points you may have. However, if you harvest an elk with an OTC tag - you are done hunting elk in AZ for that year.

Arizona has some areas where elk can be hunted with OTC tags. These tags are for areas where AZ Game & Fish does not want elk herds (for various reasons). Hunting elk in these areas typically provides one of two hunts: 1) a hit or miss opportunity as elk herds are transitioning through the area, but long shots would be the norm; and 2) areas containing permanent elk herds, but in dense cover. A long shot could be possible if you caught an elk on the edge of that cover.

Check out page 27 of AZ regs for 2016:

https://www.azgfd.com/PortalImages/files/regs/elkregs.pdf

These are tough, marginal hunts, but I know several guys that have gone there and been successful. These hunts are not part of the draw, so you won't burn any points you may have. However, if you harvest an elk with an OTC tag - you are done hunting elk in AZ for that year.

That's great I would love to hunt/visit Arizona I always wanted to go there. Thanks

Don't forget to apply for our general hunts as well as we hold some the largest elk in he world. (Arizona)

Also a little known fact but our deer hunting in the high desert is a long range hunters dream!!! I have not spotted and taken a shot at less than 480 yds to date

At the risk of sounding ignorant. I had no idea you could step foot in Arizona with a rifle without a governors tag or other special permit. I always thought Arizona was bow or muzzle loader only and it would take a lifetime to draw...I guess I just never looked into it beyond what I see on TV. Every time I run across an Arizona hunt on TV it's a monster elk, muley, or freakishly huge antelope. They are usually in the Strip or Khabib I guess that's how u spell it. An outfitter such as Mossback or other high end operation is guiding the hunter blah blah blah u know the drill.

Last edited:
As I read along I can't seem to find where it says a rifle is permitted.

At the risk of sounding ignorant. I had no idea you could step foot in Arizona with a rifle without a governors tag or other special permit. I always thought Arizona was bow or muzzle loader only and it would take a lifetime to draw...I guess I just never looked into it beyond what I see on TV. Every time I run across an Arizona hunt on TV it's a monster elk, muley, or freakishly huge antelope. They are usually in the Strip or Khabib I guess that's how u spell it. An outfitter such as Mossback or other high end operation is guiding the hunter blah blah blah u know the drill.

First you are correct if you want to hunt on the Indian Reservation, the cost is tens of thousands of dollars (it's highway robbery).
If you want an early rifle tag then it's a long shot as well. However general hunting tags can be had with a little luck. I average getting drawn about once every 4-5 years for a bull elk tag. If you choose to hunt cow elk then you can get drawn every 2-3 years. Coues deer in the high desert you can get drawn for each and every year as there are leftover tags every year from the draw. (Truly a long range hunters heaven). Check out www.azgfd.com and you can see he regs for elk and antelope. Deer and bighorn sheep will be starting up next month.

Good luck

Good luck

First you are correct if you want to hunt on the Indian Reservation, the cost is tens of thousands of dollars (it's highway robbery).
If you want an early rifle tag then it's a long shot as well. However general hunting tags can be had with a little luck. I average getting drawn about once every 4-5 years for a bull elk tag. If you choose to hunt cow elk then you can get drawn every 2-3 years. Coues deer in the high desert you can get drawn for each and every year as there are leftover tags every year from the draw. (Truly a long range hunters heaven). Check out www.azgfd.com and you can see he regs for elk and antelope. Deer and bighorn sheep will be starting up next month.

Good luck

Good luck

Thank you! You've caught my attention on the coues deer hunting. I have never given it much thought but the opportunity to see desert terrain would be great as I have never been to anything close to a desert and the fact that it's perfect for long range is what I'm looking for.

Do you have any recommendations on where exactly to hunt for coues deer? Units to hunt and towns near by to stay.

Last edited:
Generally speaking, there are usually 3 or 4 coues whitetail hunts every year in each unit where they are found. The December hunts are they best as they occur right before the rut and bucks get very mobile (easy to spot). It's also nice as the desert temps become more nicer. The next most popular hunt is the first hunt. Temps are hot during the day, but you get first crack at them. For either of these hunts, you will most likely need a couple of bonus points to have some guaranty drawing out - but it is still possible.

However, there are some units down on the border with tags left over for the middle hunts. A good strategy would be to apply for the December hunts in a couple of the best units. If you get drawn - great. If you don't, then you still have your license and can try for one of the left over permits. Although they are mail in only and given out on a first come - first served basis, you will definitely get one. This way, you can gain experience about coues whitetail and our desert terrain while building points for a first rate hunt.

Here's a link to a wealth of info on coues whitetail:

forum member Nboni.2007 posted this amazing coues | CouesWhitetail.com

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.