Elk Ribeyes !

CRJR45

Grilled some Elk for dinner , this tasted better than it looks !
IMG_2879.jpg
IMG_2880.jpg

Looks delicious. Perfectly cooked too. We had grilled deer back straps tonight with wild rice, squash and I sautéed some onions. I have three daughters that eat steak like wolves. Cooked rare with salt is the only way they like it.

I love elk roasts. Sirloin tip needs time to cook. I like using a Dutch oven in the oven at 275. Just enough to simmer it, lid on to keep the liquid from boiling off. 6-7 hours should make it fork tender. The oven is superior to a slow cooker because it doesn't heat from the bottom, so it doesn't burn the bottom.

Lots of recipes, I did a tip roast last week and made elk stew. It was **** good.

I love elk roasts. Sirloin tip needs time to cook. I like using a Dutch oven in the oven at 275. Just enough to simmer it, lid on to keep the liquid from boiling off. 6-7 hours should make it fork tender. The oven is superior to a slow cooker because it doesn't heat from the bottom, so it doesn't burn the bottom.

Lots of recipes, I did a tip roast last week and made elk stew. It was **** good.
Thats kinda what I was thinking . Put it in an oven bag with potatoes and carrots , a little onion , salt , pepper , teaspoon of flour , and some beef stock .
What do you think ?

Here's what I did… we eat elk about 5 times a week so I'm always looking for something new…

Trim roast and cut into 1.5" cubes
Salt and pepper and toss in a bag of flour
Brown very well in cast iron with olive oil. Should be brown brown brown
Remove meat, add 1-2tbsp or olive oil and add 1 diced onion and 2-3 diced celery. Cook until almost soft and add 4-6 cloves of garlic.
When garlic is fragrant deglaze with 1/2 cup of red wine
Put meat back in with a bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and some pepper.
2 cups of broth
2 cups of water
Bring to boil and move to oven set at 275
Lid on 5-7 hours. Check every hour to ensure it's simmering, not boiling.
If the liquid starts getting too low add some water or broth, watch the saltiness if using broth
When meat is spoon tender, add 3-4 potatoes and 5-6 carrots, cut into bite size pieces. Cook until soft, 15-20 minutes.

I assume I left some steps out but this is more or less what I did winging it!

Here's what I did… we eat elk about 5 times a week so I'm always looking for something new…

Trim roast and cut into 1.5" cubes
Salt and pepper and toss in a bag of flour
Brown very well in cast iron with olive oil. Should be brown brown brown
Remove meat, add 1-2tbsp or olive oil and add 1 diced onion and 2-3 diced celery. Cook until almost soft and add 4-6 cloves of garlic.
When garlic is fragrant deglaze with 1/2 cup of red wine
Put meat back in with a bay leaf, Italian seasoning, and some pepper.
2 cups of broth
2 cups of water
Bring to boil and move to oven set at 275
Lid on 5-7 hours. Check every hour to ensure it's simmering, not boiling.
If the liquid starts getting too low add some water or broth, watch the saltiness if using broth
When meat is spoon tender, add 3-4 potatoes and 5-6 carrots, cut into bite size pieces. Cook until soft, 15-20 minutes.

I assume I left some steps out but this is more or less what I did winging it!
Thank you , I'll try that , sounds great .

That looks fantastic, @CRJR45 I think we will have elk steaks tomorrow. Thanks for the inspiration!

That stew sounds pretty good too. Not far off from my favorite pot roast recipe;

Works great for moose, elk and deer. I'm pretty sure the tomato paste is the secret sauce here - I have tried many substitutions over the years (ketchup, pizza sauce, pasta sauce, fresh tomato to name a few), none come close.

Makes the best gravy ever. Can strain veggies and eat them on the side.

Served with mashed potatoes is yum. With yorkshire puddings? Even yummier!

LOVE,.. Spike / young Raghorn's, and Cow, Elk, Doe and Young, NON- Rutting, Buck Antelope for,.. Big Game !
Chuckars , Quail, Cottontails and Squirrel, ARE,.. TOP'S for, small Game !
YUP,.. I'm a Meat Hunter,.. First and, foremost !
@ CRJR45,. That's,.. a BIG, tasty looking,.. Spike !
And, a Trophy with, a Bow !

Last edited: