Electric Trigger ?

HarryN

I am toying with the idea of mounting my Rem 700 ADL LA in a stock sort of bull pup style, mostly to shorten the overall length, but retain the longer barrel.

I am aware of the more obvious issues:
- The bolt will be in an inconvenient place
- The trigger needs to be positioned substantially more forward than normal
- Mounting sights is more complicated
- Not much support equipment on the market for this approach

All of these things are ok, it is more of an experiment anyway.

What would make the project much easier is if there is an electric trigger action available, so that the mechanical trigger mechanism is replaced by an electric solenoid to actuate the firing.

This would be instead of the more common approach of using an extension rod arrangement between the original and new trigger location, which is known for causing trigger feel unhappiness.

I think I saw one time a guy who sells or sold them, but I cannot re-find the information.

Thanks

I think remington tried an electronic firing system at one time. Maybe you could find the one and just wire it in somehow. If it was me, and i wanted a bullpup 700, i woud just go with a connecting rod setup. Trigger may not feel the best, but a tuned trigger would still feel better than a bad trigger. Good luck.

Check out the paint ball trigger manufacturer's. They've taken the work out of it. Just set it on semi auto and your all set.

Larry
Tinkerer

Thanks for the suggestions. I will double check as I go to make sure the safety will work, and that there is a spring to move the solenoid back into position. This seems like the easiest method though and similar to what I had in mind.

It seems like such a straightforward concept, I wonder why it is not more common?

Maybe people don't like the idea of needing a battery to operate the trigger mechanism.

I did look at the Remington electric ignition primer system concept and it actually is pretty interesting. The same basic idea is used in some artillery rounds. The primers to make it work are available on-line for reloading, but the quantity and price per each seem a little high.

In this situation though, I am just a hobbyist working with an old 700 ADL bolt action for the education experience.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.