effects of elevations on custom turrets

Keep in mind that 20 degrees in temperature change equals 1000 feet in elevation change , so going up in altitude and down in temperature, things tend to cancel each other out. A rough rule of thumb is I/3 moa at 1000 yards for each 1000 feet or 20 degrees temperature change. at 750 yards, 1/6th moa for same changes and at 500 and less no adjustment is needed. This said, if you have a turret set for 1000 feet 70 degrees and are going to 7000 feet and 10 degrees, on a 1000 yard shot, we have gone up 6000 feet so we back down 2 moa from our 1000 yard setting. Now we go back up 1 moa for the denser colder air Net difference will be 1 moa. at 750 yards , the difference will be 1/2 moa or 3 inches! I would worry more about the incline adjustment. Being from Pa. , I always hear stories about everyone missing high because of the altitude and if the shot is under 500, I'd be more likely to blame the incline !

Paphil, I never thought incline would effect much until playing with my rangefinder. I took some readings ranging down a valley. My rangefinder gave me two readings. One what the true distance to the bottom and the other what I should shoot it for. There was a big differance. Your right about incline

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts