Eddystone M1917 Enfield questions

Discussion in 'Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics' started by codybrown, Dec 26, 2013.

1. codybrown

codybrown Well-Known Member

I came across a Sporterized rifle chambered in 300 H&H for $275 locally. I did a little research on them to find out they were originally a 30-06 rifle. My question is are these actions strong enough to reliably support the 300 H&H caliber? I'm not sure of the barrel make, or who did the work since it's a used gun with no owner history. It has a Leupold 1 piece mount on it, overall it's in pretty clean condition.

2. CliffM

CliffM Well-Known Member

I have one chambered in 30-338win mag. Some would say that they are not the best of the 1917 actions but in in 17 years of use mine has never given any problem with a steady diet of max loads.
    If it didn't show any signs of obvious abuse I wouldn't hesitate,
    Cliff

3. codybrown

codybrown Well-Known Member

Anyone else?

4. kc

kc Well-Known Member

The recivers are tough and can take a real beating. I have never known any reciever cracking
    in all my 60 years. they are a but heavy but make a real nice rifle. get a Timney trigger.
    you got a keeper.

5. Sully2

Sully2 Well-Known Member

I agree with "kc". The 1917 action is one tough SOB

6. yobuck

yobuck Well-Known Member

some 1917s were winchester some remington and some eddystone.
    of the 3 the eddystone is the least desirable for large cartridges.
    some gunsmiths will refuse to chamber them in the heavy cartridges.

7. ducmarc

ducmarc Well-Known Member

i love the p17 the 300 h&h is an easy rechamber job .my dads eddystone has held up for years. the eddystone had a lighting hole under the rear sight that has to be silver soldered up to put a scope on it .but u grind out the the stripper clip holder and u have the original long action. if u decide against it i'd be interested in it.