Eddystone M1917 Enfield questions

codybrown

I came across a Sporterized rifle chambered in 300 H&H for $275 locally. I did a little research on them to find out they were originally a 30-06 rifle. My question is are these actions strong enough to reliably support the 300 H&H caliber? I'm not sure of the barrel make, or who did the work since it's a used gun with no owner history. It has a Leupold 1 piece mount on it, overall it's in pretty clean condition.

I have one chambered in 30-338win mag. Some would say that they are not the best of the 1917 actions but in in 17 years of use mine has never given any problem with a steady diet of max loads.
If it didn't show any signs of obvious abuse I wouldn't hesitate,
Cliff

The recivers are tough and can take a real beating. I have never known any reciever cracking
in all my 60 years. they are a but heavy but make a real nice rifle. get a Timney trigger.
you got a keeper.

some 1917s were winchester some remington and some eddystone.
of the 3 the eddystone is the least desirable for large cartridges.
some gunsmiths will refuse to chamber them in the heavy cartridges.

i love the p17 the 300 h&h is an easy rechamber job .my dads eddystone has held up for years. the eddystone had a lighting hole under the rear sight that has to be silver soldered up to put a scope on it .but u grind out the the stripper clip holder and u have the original long action. if u decide against it i'd be interested in it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts