• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SELLER: Echo018

Gunbroker isn't free, Ebay isn't free, Amazon isn't free, nothing in this world is free, why are the classifieds free?
have sellers setup an account with a small fee with Len and have proceeds go towards their membership. scammers would be less likely to try if they have to register an account to buy and sell and limit the number of adds per month and also increase the post total to 50

Gunbroker isn't free, Ebay isn't free, Amazon isn't free, nothing in this world is free, why are the classifieds free?
have sellers setup an account with a small fee with Len and have proceeds go towards their membership. scammers would be less likely to try if they have to register an account to buy and sell and limit the number of adds per month and also increase the post total to 50
Yep

They don't post ads, they respond to want to buy posts and there lies the problem.

The buyer is the first line of defense, look at every potential purchase from a WTB ad with extreme caution and don't be afraid to walk away.

Honestly, I don't see a way of preventing it unless you made the classifieds a yearly or even monthly subscription and the only way to access them is thru the subscription service.

If this is what @can1010 and @Rick Richard mean, I agree 100%

He's in New York, 2011 queens highway, kershonkon, NY

I think the reason that we have a good membership and there is no extra cost to sell in the classifieds. It would only increase the price of what we purchase from sellers. Seller would have to pass the costs on to the buyer.
How would that stop a Scammer.
Scammer sets up account
pays a so called small fee.
Lists an item(s)
Gets money from buyer
Buyer SCAMMED
Scammer gets more money than small fee.

Let's not turn this into Gun Broker Site.

I think the reason that we have a good membership and there is no extra cost to sell in the classifieds. It would only increase the price of what we purchase from sellers. Seller would have to pass the costs on to the buyer.
How would that stop a Scammer.
Scammer sets up account
pays a so called small fee.
Lists an item(s)
Gets money from buyer
Buyer SCAMMED
Scammer gets more money than small fee.

Let's not turn this into Gun Broker Site.
Understand your concern, but what are some of your ideas that would help to discourage scammers on this site? You have been around long enough so I know you have some ideas….respectfully.

I agree with Darryle that the WTB are usually what they prey on. See what you need and find a picture of the item and send it to you.
I have had great results using WTB but was contacted twice by scammers. Anyone posting WTB should be very suspicious. They won't post on the thread that they have it but will just pm.

COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION COMMUNICATION!!!
If you are purchasing something you need to communicate with the SELLER and if things look not right don't do the deal.
Look at our Trader Reviews. We have well over 100 + with 97 logged. Most if not all talk about us communicating weather buyer or seller.
Talk to the Seller, get information!
If you talk to all the members that got Scammed they probably didn't have much more than "I'll Buy It" and where to send funds.

10 ratings was just a suggestion. It could be 5 or whatever folks feel is appropriate. I'd be ok with having to wait if the rules changed. I actually Have bought two items in the last week because they were good deals.

Heck even if it was two or three purchases it would make the scammers work harder anyways.

Recent Posts