Easy Carnitas Recipe

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 107796

Hey All,
I cooked up some pork carnitas last night, a slow cooked dish that is easy to make and suitable for wild pigs or even a nice fatty elk rump roast. In short, what you're doing is browning large chunks of roast (approx 1.5-2" square chunks), placing 2 quartered onions and bell peppers each and 1 large quartered tomato into the bottom of a baking crock. Add the well browned meat on top of the veggies. Into 3/4 cup of water, add some chicken bullion and 2 Tblspn of your favorite red chili powder (I use a combo including a bit of puro molido and pequine for kick), 1 Tblspn of cumin powder, 1/2 Tblspn salt and pour onto meat. Drizzle the contents with olive oil (my twist from the old days of using melted lard), crush 4 cloves of garlic onto meat. Sprinkle a bit of aromatics of dried thyme, cilantro and rosemary on top. Optional - sprinkle a bit of Tony Chachere's on top. Tent cover the crock pot and cook at 350 for 2 hours, reduce to 325 for another hour. Enjoy!

Carnitas 1.jpg

Great recipe CO_Guy! I love me some crockpot carnitas. I get a Boston butt and marinated overnight with cummin and one squeezed orange. Crockpot it for as many hours as I can. For a more traditional flavor once it's finished in the crockpot I'll fry/ sauteed it with some oil.