E-Bikes for us geezers

National forest service is 1 of those ignorant types as well as BLM and state of Montana

I've been told they are good to go, even a little gas power as long as it's under 50 cc engine was even allowed as non motorized BUT that was talking with some officers a couple years ago. I may need to talk to them again.

I don't know, but I think there should be provisions for disabled in the rule book. Look at the mandatory access and parking spaces. I think it's time lobby, and talk to vet advocates in congress.

The biggest issue comes from the non standard between agencies. BLM and DNR may not see horses as motorized, but the state police do. If they could just get their crap together.

That's funny, a back country horse groups is suing them over it, horses make a huge mess and trails, guess their horses need a safe space from bikes, personally I think both are good tools but it's like lake around here, electric motors OK, gas motors No Go.

Yes the forest service and BLM are interpreting e bikes as motorized but that's largely because certain groups keep suing them over it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sf...hoe-National-Forest-for-allowing-14557974.php
Well. This must be one of Trump's deregulation efforts. It makes nothing but sense to make it easier for more of our citizens to enjoy their own land. He needs another four years to explode the preservationist's heads. In the meantime, we should gather support with senior and disabled advocates to promote these changes.

Wheeler,
"...another four years..." of Trump? Only if you like Russia a lot. "Comrade Trump" is our downfall as a nation. If you want to protect our nation's environment the Prez i not they guy to do it. His appointees are giving it all to extractive corporations.

I think cooler heads will prevail in the e-bike v.s. Federal lands controversy and at least seniors and partially disables will get a break.

Eric B.

Last edited:
Need to stop watching MSM...or maybe missed the part where every D running wants to register and collect your shootin' Irons.

Right...corporations are bad...everyone should have a government job. There is conservation (wise use) and preservation (lock it up). Out here, the only "extraction" on our public forestland is by fire...and the preservationists have it totally locked up for logging...before and after the inevitable fire. This thick timber supports little to no big game populations, because there's no feed. At least after the fire, the ground is open and the feed starts to grow, and here comes the game. The travesty is, all that burned, salvageable timber (lumber) is left on the stump to rot, and support the bugs... where it could have been supporting jobs, rural schools, taxes, and communities. I'll go with some deregulation. The only Commies involved here want to perpetuate this agenda of ruin.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.