Dumb Question: 6mm Creed vs. 6.5 cases?

Sujumanji

Asking for a friend since this would never happen to me....

Does anyone know what happens when you accidently run a few 6mm Creedmoor cases through a 6.5 Creedmoor sizing die? The case mouths got resized to 6.5mm but is the rest of the case the same? Did I, I mean my friend, just make usable 6.5CM brass out of 6CM? Safe to use or trash? They seem to fit in the headspace gauge ok....

You can change them either way and should be OK. You did the important part in checking the headspace. I do this also with 25.06 and 30.06. Also check the brass length.

I mean in theory if you check the OAL of the case and it's in spec then yes you made a case. In this particular case at least....

In practical terms of keeping your face in the correct arrangement, do advise your friend to be more deliberate about reloading processes 😂 Next time the dies might not be for such similar rounds. "Unintentional wildcatter" wouldn't be a great epitaph.

In seriousness though, in this instance it's fine.

I've done it intentionally (and so has my friend). Got a couple of 6mm cases in some once fired 6.5s, so I just treated them like 6.5s.

That is what happened. Was given a big bag of supposedly once fired Hornady 6.5CM brass and there were a few 6mm CM cases mixed in.