Dumb reloading question

hammer111

I was reloading my .204, but I didn't resize them properly. The bullets are falling into the case. So I already installed the new primers. So is it ok to use the deprimer to push them out, or will they go off. If I can deprime them can i reuse them . Thanks.

You don't need to deprime them. Pull bullets (if any actually seated and didn't fall into the case). Dump the powder out. Then pull the decapping pin in your sizing die, and resize the cases with the live primers still in the brass. They won't go off and you won't hurt anything. Then proceed to reload the cases per normal after that.

I was reloading my .204, but I didn't resize them properly. The bullets are falling into the case. So I already installed the new primers. So is it ok to use the deprimer to push them out, or will they go off. If I can deprime them can i reuse them . Thanks.

We have all done something like that but that's where you learn, from mistakes that hopefully don't kill you!

So some words of advice-

1st thing imo that anyone new to reloading needs to do is to write a sequence of process down & use your reloading blocks to manage some of this & keep track of what stage your at.
So if your sizing, have your unsized cases in the block on the left of the press & the finished sized cases in a block on the right of the press. Finish that job then do the same for the next, then the next etc.

If you don't get something like that going you will end up in all sorts of problems!!

Also things like only have the 1 powder you are working with on the bench & no others so a mistake cant be made.

Good luck.

I'm more interested in being safe.
That's the Number One concern when we reload. You have upwards of 60,000 psi right in front of your face. Barrels can be split apart by too much of a too-fast powder. When that happens, there might well be small pieces of very sharp metal zooming around at high velocity. It's always the better path to ask before you swan dive into something about which you are not certain. We're all here to help each other, and I pity the poor sod who tells you something very badly wrong because he believes it's some kind of a joke. I doubt we have any of those here, but I've been on boards that do have that type of moron as a member...

There is no dumb question, we all started somewhere. Better to be safe than sorry.
^^^This. The only dumb question is the one that goes unasked. Better to be safe and learn than to introduce unnecessary dangers. Good on you for asking, and you probably helped others out there with the same or similar questions.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.