Dumb idea with a Mark V

WanderingGoatie

My first deer rifle was a Weatherby vanguard deluxe. Beautiful gun that's just got a classic look. I've gotten into purpose built rifles and built some fun guns on custom actions and carbon/fiberglass stocks over the last few years but keep dreaming of a classic build with some history but updated tech. I've got a line on an old German made mark v deluxe that's like my original vanguard but beefier and in need of some severe tlc but also worthy of investing in a new carbon barrel. My goals are:
- Old school polished bluing
- redo stock to remove dents and bring back high gloss and add a pachmayr pad
- carbon barrel 23"
-threaded for a suppressor
-adding qd swivels to left side of stock
- optics a 3-15 German made scope
- change 300 wby mag to win mag for simplicity

Has anyone seen a rifle like this and do you think a thinner profile carbon barrel would work in that old wooden stock?

You'll be pushing it to put any carbon barely profile in an older MKV stock, they are wicked thin!! Cool build though, I love those MKVs

Sounds like a fantastic build if the stock would accomodate, I would look at a Bartlien #4 contour. They taper to .750 @ muzzle I believe, do some maths and measure what you got. I think they are thicker under the carbon than others, talk to bartlien if you go that way, you may be able to shorten the shank some to help.

Also, if you get the "red" color in the carbon, it makes them look brown. May be a perfect match for the wood stock, if it will work.

I think the largest I've fit is a Bartlien 3b but it was THIN in front, would not handle getting roughed up without chipping out.
Welp......then I don't think a carbon is an option for ya brother!

However a #3 contour would work. Gling from memory, if you cut it to 20", I think you would be at about .730" muzzle diameter, just enough to thread 5/8x24......

Stocks do vary so any advice from the Internet would be trumped by measuring what you have to work with. The other option is to get a stock duplicated with no er wood and more forend.

If your willing to put in some work, Richard's microfit makes a pretty similar stock, at good prices. All the way up to exhibition grade as well, hand finishing a stock seems like it would fit in to this project, being a labor of love and time. I have done two from them, both came out beautiful but I had nearly 80 hours of work into one that I did a hand rubbed oil finish on. And I wouldn't have done it any other way.

Sounds like a fantastic build if the stock would accomodate, I would look at a Bartlien #4 contour. They taper to .750 @ muzzle I believe, do some maths and measure what you got. I think they are thicker under the carbon than others, talk to bartlien if you go that way, you may be able to shorten the shank some to help.

Also, if you get the "red" color in the carbon, it makes them look brown. May be a perfect match for the wood stock, if it will work.
+1 on the Bartlien #4 contour, here's the Gun I had built and passed on to my nephew, was a 300 Bee Mark V Deluxe and became a 6.5x300 bee. Shoots great! Would do it again!

Attachments

• F0325C83-9A1C-42C0-B37D-C464E893D146.jpeg
    F0325C83-9A1C-42C0-B37D-C464E893D146.jpeg
    665 KB · Views: 140