Duck Pastrami

4ked Horn

I'm not a huge fan of duck meat but I love to hunt them so I am always on the look out for good recipes. I stumbled across this one and tried it. Everyone I have shared it with liked it including my picky kids. It tastes good by it's self but is best as a sandwich on rye bread with a brown mustard, sauerkraut and melted swiss cheese (Reuben sandwich).

Duck Pastrami Recipe : Emeril Lagasse : Food Network

Ingredients

• 1 tablespoon black peppercorns
  • 3 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 3 bay leaves, crumbled
  • 1 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic
  • 1 teaspoon whole juniper berries, plus 1/3 cup coarsely ground juniper berries
  • 4 cups water
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup kosher salt (or non iodized salt)
  • 1 whole boneless duck breast, split in half (2 to 2 1/2 pounds) (I used 4 breast halves boneless of course)
  • 1/4 cup coarsely ground black pepper
  • Thinly sliced French bread, accompaniment
  • Creole mustard, accompaniment
  • Pickled onions, accompaniment
Directions

In a small mixing bowl, combine the peppercorns, thyme, bay leaves, cloves, garlic, and 1 teaspoon whole juniper berries.

In a saucepan combine the water, brown sugar and salt. Bring to a boil and stir to dissolve the sugar and salt. Remove from the heat, add spice mixture, and steep for 1 hour. Place the duck breast in a glass or plastic container. Pour the seasoned brine over the duck to cover completely. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 48 hours, turning the breasts several times.

(I reccomend 3 days in the brine.)

Remove the duck breasts from the brine and rinse thoroughly under running water. Pat dry with a towel.
Preheat the oven to 250 degrees F.
In a small bowl, combine the crushed juniper berries and ground black pepper.

(I run mine through the blender for a bit.)

Using the palm and heel of your hands, press 2/3 of the berry and pepper mixture into the underside of the breasts. Press the remaining mixture onto the skin side. Place the breasts, skin side down, on a rack in a roasting pan and cook for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
Remove and let cool for 30 minutes. Wrap the breasts tightly in plastic wrap and place in an airtight container. Store in the refrigerator for at least 1 week before using.
To serve, remove the meat from the plastic wrap and slice thinly. Serve with sliced French bread and other accompaniments as appetizers or hors d'oeuvres.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Inactive Prep Time: 9 days

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce