Dpms mini sass 5.56

Im looking at the DPMS MINI SASS in the 5.56 nato thoughts... good AR ? To much $? Or should i look to other AR companies?

My personal opinion is look some where else, I'm have a bit of a buy once cry once mindset. I see the style of rifle your after so look at these. Obviously these are just some pricing examples and shopping around is advised.

SPR Mk 12 Upper Receiver Half Groups
AR-15, 16" Recce Upper Groups (Mid Length)
Rifles | LaRue Tactical
Uppers | LaRue Tactical
Noveske RifleWorks, LLC.
http://www.centurionarms.net/
http://www.mstn.biz/

In my personal opinion, you'd be money ahead to build your own using better components.

For example, I am just about done with my latest build. The barrel is a 20" Kreiger with SDM fluting under hanguard (to reduce weight) and standard fluting after the gas block. I am also using a DD 14" Lite Rail on for my forearm. The lower is a Spike's with a PRS handguard.

So basically, for about the same price as a the DPMS Mini-SASS, I built what I believe to be a far superior rifle than the SASS.

I'm not knocking DPMS as I believe they do turn out some good rifles. I have a DPMS AP4 in .308 that is a great shooter and works great for it's intended purpose as a deer slayer.

Ok... that sound great but i wouldnt know ware to start??? I dont have much(if any) knowledge of the components that go into and AR... please explain... i would like to build my own just dont have the vocabulary down pat... thanks yours truly AR-dummie... here to learn hope y'all would be kind enough to help me out... how many times main parts are there?

Thanks again

Here is a list of parts that are needed to complete an AR style rifle. AR15.com has some very good step by step build instructions. It seems overwhelming at first, but once you do it, it's very simple and you have a very good working knowledge of your rifle. Plus, like I stated above, you can use higher end parts for the same price.

Building is addicting. I purchased my first AR. It was a Bushmaster Varminter. Shot great and ran smooth. It had a 24" barrel and I just didn't care for it as it was used for coyote hunting. I sold it and built the rifle I listed above. I also built a 16" carbine in 5.56 which is now my hunting rifle. I also "built" a .243 WSSM. I purchased the rifle slightly used, tore it down, sent the barrel out to have it cut to 20", reprofiled, and threaded. I then added a different forearm, stock, and trigger (Giessele SSA-E). I also purchased a DPMS AP4 in .308 that I also modified. I had the barrel turned down and I added a carbon fiber handguard to reduce weight. The trigger was modified and I also added a Magpul CTR stock. Then there's the .22 upper that I built from parts...

Build, don't buy complete.

Lower Receiver Parts:
-Stripped Lower Receiver (this is the part that is registered and must be transferred or purchased through a FFL)
-LPK (lower parts kit): This includes the trigger, safety, mag & bolt release, takedown pins
-Stock, buffer tube, buffer spring, and buffer: If you plan on using a collapsible stock, then you need a carbine buffer, buffer spring, and buffer tube along with a castle nut and endplate. This can be purchased together or seperately. If you plan on running a non-collapsible stock (A2, PRS) then you would need a rifle buffer, rifle buffer tube, and rifle spring.

Upper Receiver Parts:
-Upper Receiver: this can be purchased stripped or assembled. If purchasing stripped, you will also need to purchase the forward assist and dust cover assembly.
-BCG (bolt carrier group)
-Barrel: skies the limit with your wallet being the limiting factor. If you really want to go high end, check out Kreiger barrels from Compass Lake Engineering. They have the best prices around and will configure the barrel to your likings.
-Gas Block & Gas Tube: I built mine using a low profile gas block because the forearm would be covering it. Gas tubes come in 3 lengths, carbine, mid-length, and rifle. You just need to match this to your barrel gas system.
-Forearm: Railed, smooth, modular. It's whatever you want. I have both railed and modular and prefer the modular. They are usually lighter, smaller in diameter, and you can add rails wherever you want to add an accessory (light, sight, bipod, etc...)

Ok... that sound great but i wouldnt know ware to start??? I dont have much(if any) knowledge of the components that go into and AR... please explain... i would like to build my own just dont have the vocabulary down pat... thanks yours truly AR-dummie... here to learn hope y'all would be kind enough to help me out... how many times main parts are there?

Thanks again

The only dumb question is the one unasked. All these guys have given you good options. The best place to start is ar15.com. I just built my first AR 15 in 6.5 Grendel in August this year for Deer Hunting, no other reason. I built it to be a 400-500 yard gun. Nikon 4-12-40 bdc. Dpms lower, J & T dist 20" SS Barrel and upper components, bi pod and sling. But the gun with good glass is capable of 1000 yard shots. All for under $1250.00. The 5.56 mini sass version should be comparable in price. If you can turn a wrench or hold a pair of plyers, go ahead and try. I had sucess, im sure you will as well.

Thanks again

Hey, don't sweat it. You have a lot of options for your first build, seems overwhelming. There are some usefull tools available like the how-to's already mentioned. There are still military TM's available for the M16A1's, nice guide to have on the bench. The AR15 is mostly the same, except for the semi only trigger, I had an interesting time with my first AR trigger, I was used to the military one. Nobody could really screw it up, I just had to backtrack on my assembly a little. The TM, is handy for things like, Saftey/Function check, has trouble shooting with remedies, etc. You wan the one that ends in -23&P.
Find an AR guy to help you build your first one, even if they haven't ever done one, fun for both of you. Talk your brother, friend, or cousin into doing one at the same time.
Do some research about how to Torque your barrel nut, there are a few different ways that have been developed. The more current one's seem to help accracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.